Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting 6 lug to 8 lug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by taterblazer, Feb 22, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm considering putting a 3/4 ton rear end in and converting the front to 8 lug. Is converting the front easy? Desirable? Or just a bad idea? If it's a good idea what parts will be needed and any tips or special considerations for doing the job would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if your putting in the 14 bolt yeah it's a good idea to convert the front for the matching lug pattern. Not hard to do just need to take it down and replace everything from the spindle up including backing plate and hub. Waxer just got a line on the parts and is about to make the same conversion on a D44. I think he will be doing a tech story on it. He found all the parts NEW and costing something like $500 but you could probably scronge the parts in a junk yard and do the swap for $100 if you get lucky and find good rotors.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm considering the same set-up. I'd like to see that tech article when it comes out. Where do you guys post it, the main page, messege board, etc.? -Tommy

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I plan on submitting it to Steve to see if he'll post it on his site for all of us. I know it will be usefull for everyone.
    I shall begin on the conversion next weekend so stay tuned.
    Plenty of pics will be included.