Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton 2WD sub

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

So here's the deal. I've got this 90 model 2WD burb that the owner has said I could have for $100. It has no Tranny and a weak motor (real weak) but other than that it's complete. Is it rough? Well, there are a few dents and dings, but honestly my Blazer is a site worse. I'm thinking about snagging this, putting a new motor and tranny in it, a 14 bolt rear and switching the front over to 8 lug.

Here's the big question. What beside springs are different on the 3/4 ton vs. 1/2 ton? I know the rotors and all on the front end are different, but I'll REAL honest here, if it ain't 4wd, I don't know SQUAT about it. My thinking here is that for ~$3000, I can have a 3/4 ton sub to use as a tow rig/DD.

What do you think? It's either this, or buy it and part it out for all it's worth.

TIA.

KP

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

from some of the 91 GM literature i have, there are some FRAME differences (thickness, metal strength, etc) that's a tad different.. and of course, the 3/4 have more beef in their brakes.... There were some tranny diffs as well (700R4 being the lighter of the 2), but for a tow rig, depending on what you're gonna pull... it might be a good way to get a foot in the door!
    I dumped my 10 bolt 3:42 axles for a 14FF 4:10 rear on mine (but it's 4x4), added a tranny cooler and pull the travel trailer great now!

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

will a 3/4 ton knuckle replace a 1/2 ton knuckle? Namely to get the 8 lugs in the front. Or do you not even have to do that? Are they interchangable? One of my dream rigs is a 70s shortbed pickup, want to tub it and drop in a healthy motor but use a narrowed 14 bolt and 8 lugs all around just to be different /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton and 1/2 tons have the same calipers and same sized rotors. If you want an upgrade, go 1 ton, Bendix calipers are huge and alot more expensive. (almost 4 times more Delco calipers are 29.95 for a pair after core exchange and Bendix calipers are $55 apiece but I dont remember what the core charge was)

5. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

according to the LMC catalog, it looks like the upper control arms, upper control arm shafts, ball joints, lower control arms, lower control arm shafts, and rotors are differnt. The springs are the same fron 1/2 to 3/4, but there is a different spring for the 454 engine. It does not show a different spindle from 1/2 to 3/4. The sway bar may be a different size. Steering parts are the same also.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

tie rod end arnt, some stupid asshat put 1/2 ton ones on my ex cop 91 sub and they are different, the taper is smaller and although it will go in it wont tighten.