Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting a 400 tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jan 4, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

well everybody i got the front suspension and axle in place and bolted up. so the c20 burban is now a k20 lol. Now i wanna get the crossmembers taken care of since i have the body off still. engine is a 454 so im gonna need a crowwmember from a 454 truck right? im guessing thats gonna be hard 2 find lol. Then im gonnna need a 205 crossmember i think that will be easier 2 find i hope. OK now the big question my tranny is a 400 2wd, what do i have 2 do 2 convert it 2 4wd? just the output shaft? im gonna rebuild it anyways so tearing it apart isnt a problem. And where would i get a good rebuild kit for the tranny, and one for a 205 transfer case to?. i finally got pics onto my computer so i will put them up on my cardomain page 2day and i will post a link here in a lil bit.

thanks guys
    brad

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i think you can just change the output shaft , rebuild you can hunt around and see for your self what you want but heres one www.400raptor.com good luck

3. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Ok so when rebuilding the tranny all i need 2 do is put in a diffrent output shaft? where can i get the one i need?

Here is the link 2 some pics of my truck, i have alot more, just gotta upload them.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2170477

4. lamberthkp

well the best i know is the site above go to 1/2 or 3/4 down the front page you will see the outut shafts for a 400 but you know ya have to pull the guts out the bellhousing to replace it . but go to that page and you will see them if your not sure give them a call and they should help.
    i tried to call a friend a few minutes ago to see were he got his but he was not home but i think thats were he got the one to convert his , but you can get cheaper rebuild kits than on there try summit.

5. lamberthkp

LOOKING GOOD ON THE BURB!!! looks like you got alot of work going on out there. if i get ahold of my buddy i'll let you know what he said about the tranny.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

crossmember..

I didn't have to change the crossmember in any of the 4x4's I put big blocks in place of 350's..I'd think any 4x4 engine crossmember should work,as long as it comes from the same vintage truck (like 73-87) if yours is within that year range..If I'm wrong someone will tell me I'm sure!..

I also swapped a NP205 into my 74 K20,(which actually was a 77-K20 with 74 sheet metal)..and it had a NP203 originally..the same crosmember worked fot the NP205...it had one "oval" hole,and one regular hole for the adapter "foot" bolts..I think if you get one with just 2 holes,and its for a NP203,you can just slot out the other hole with a torch,or drill another where it needs to go,and use it..

I'd call a few local tranny shops,and see if they have any 4x4 otput shafts hanging around..they usually try to hoard them,so they can use a 2wd tranny case in a 4x4 (4wd cases getting scarce here for TH400's!)..many tranny shops buy cores just so they can have parts on hand..they know the boneyards are getting crushed out here,all the older parts are dissapearing fast..

I've sold a few TH350 4x4 cores to one place,and he had a pile of TH400 4x4's out back,and a few output shafts..said he gets 100-150 bucks just for the output shaft,IF you just want it separately!..:eek1: ---he gave me 10 bucks each for the 3 TH350's I hauled in..better than 5 bucks at the scrapyard..but not much..I bet he sells the 4x4 outputs from them for at least 50 each..:mad: