Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting a column shifter to a floor shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spitdirtcom, Jun 12, 2004.

1. spitdirtcom

spitdirtcom Registered Member

I have 700R-4 tranny in my suburban. I would like to convert my Column shifter to either a floor shifter or move it to the custom center console I am going to build. Has anyone ever done this conversion before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Kory

2. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Before i decided to swap my 700r4 for a sm465 (4 speed) i looked into that, and it's an easy mod as long as you get a shifter that is made for a 700r4. And you have plenty to choose from too. Check out Jegs or Summit or this one is used alot in offroad sports Art Carr

Good Luck

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Not too sure what look you're going for in the floor shifter but Lokar makes a couple of nice ones too.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ill take some pics of mine, I used a B&M mega shifter. Looks real nice, I made a another little box to cover the area around the t-case shifter because there wasnt enough room on the floor for the stock t-case box and the new floor shifter. After it was all said and done with I needed to do something with the little nub on the column that the stock shifter went to so then I clamped on a 3-3/4" autometer tachometer. The end result was real nice. I am very pleased with the way everything looks. Now I need a polished aluminum dash bezel because that new shiny tach makes the rest of my gauges look like crap. The floor shifters ar extremely easy to put in. Took me about 1 and a 1/2 to do mine.

5. spitdirtcom

[ QUOTE ]
    Ill take some pics of mine, I used a B&M mega shifter. Looks real nice, I made a another little box to cover the area around the t-case shifter because there wasnt enough room on the floor for the stock t-case box and the new floor shifter. After it was all said and done with I needed to do something with the little nub on the column that the stock shifter went to so then I clamped on a 3-3/4" autometer tachometer. The end result was real nice. I am very pleased with the way everything looks. Now I need a polished aluminum dash bezel because that new shiny tach makes the rest of my gauges look like crap. The floor shifters ar extremely easy to put in. Took me about 1 and a 1/2 to do mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, I will be looking forward to your pics.

Kory

6. spitdirtcom

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you use the universal model B&M mega shifter?

Kory

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ok I have been having a hell of a time with trying to get these pics posted up. I was going to put them on my site but when I was editing it for some reason the whole damn thing dissappeared /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and I have to restart it again. Then I was going to put them here but I have no way to resize them as they are too large to put up. Nevertheless if you give me your email I would be happy to send them to you. Or if anyone here wants to I can email them to ya and you can put them up here for everyone to see. Sorry about this guys

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok there I did it, I got the pictures up in the member galleries. Maybe someone can instruct me as to how to post them here.

9. spitdirtcom

10. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Here ya go K5er4life
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Good job Nate !!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Man that looks really good!! Where did you get that steering wheel from? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man that looks really good!! Where did you get that steering wheel from? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha I was just about to ask that! So where is it from /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I like that idea of using that braded fuel line to cover up those wires from the tach /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif btw you need some gas soon.

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot, I got the steering wheel from a speed shop around here in LA, it is the grant wheel 1150, polished aluminum steering wheel. Plan to drop some bones on that sucker, like 250, because it has a leather grip. My friends have the rubber gripped ones and eventually they start to crumble a little bit and turn your hands black. It is a really nice steering wheel though, worth the money IMHO. And you can get the wheel at summit or any other places that carry grant wheels. I like the way it came out, I didnt like the look of exposed wires so I ran them through some 1/4" braided line. For the t-case box I welded some aluminum together, ground down the welds and painted some spray in bedliner over it. I used the original boot that was on the old shifter to use with the new cover. Hey! I got plenty of gas, damn mexican food.

16. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

good jod it really looks good /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I thought about doing that but I like the colum shifter for some wierd reason /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

17. spitdirtcom

Thank you for the pics. That is exactly what I am wanting to do. I will be emailing you as soon as I get started to get all the info on the parts you bought and to get some tips if you don't mind.

Kory