Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting a Detroit 671 blower to use on a Small/Big Block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 4, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone ever done this? A buddy of mine has one sitting in his garage at the moment doing nothing. Said I could have it if it doesn't sell on Ebay(which its not looking like it will). Could I get the blower snout and just bolt it on to this thing? I mean, a blower intake, snout, lower pulley, belt, and tensioner would be all I need wouldn't it?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually its off a Detroit 6v92, anyone know if thats different than a 6v71 blower? My dad loves the sound of a Blower and I think I could get him excited about a new engine project if it involved a huffer on top.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The last 2 numbers I have been told are the size of the combustion chamber so that blower would be for a 6 cylinder with 92cc combustion chambers. The only difference I could forsee is maybe a slightly larger output volumn on a 92 vs a 72.

Ira

4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

That is true, I work at the Diesel Shop for the Navy and we rebuild detroits all the time. Never tried to hook one up the a small block, but anything is possible.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not a matter of anything being possible, I know its possible. Where do you think the "671" and "871" blowers originally came from?

I'm more worried about whether its worthwhile to do. You know, will a front cover with blower drive cost me $1000? or can I find one for pennies?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the older ones were low tech built. the newer gas versions like we want have much tighter tolerences inside and teflon tiped rotor tips for better sealing and less boost blow by. might be good to send out as a core for updateing. but i would not want to spend all the time and money to convert for just a old style internals still in it.

7. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

To do it and keep the motor together, it will need to be built from the ground up to be a blower motor. It's a horse of a different color. I thought about it several years back and did a lot of research and talked to a number of people in the know and shelved the idea as out of my budget range. It has to have a low compression ratio, forged steel crank and so on and so forth. I looked but I can't find the disc I down loaded all my research info on, but thoroughly research the info before you spend a bunch of money on it.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, there are inline blowers and V series blowers. The most common blower you see on cars came from an inline diesel engine. There aren't many manufacturers that even make manifolds for a V series blower for adapting to cars/trucks. Secondly, the clearances on a diesel blower are so loose that it wouldn't do much as far as boost when on a car application unless you rebuild the blower and have the clearances set-up for a gas engine. Third, you would spend way too much money trying to rebuild and upgrade that blower and buy the required pieces to run it than it would cost you to buy a brand new blower set-up for your exact application. Give a call to BDS (Blower Drive Service) and tell them what you're wanting to build and they can set you up.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

good info bandit, but i'm 110% positive that sled knows what a blower motor entails. if you reread the question, he is asking about a non-common diesel blower being used in a gas application.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes thats what I'm asking. Alright, sounds like I'll just be better off using it as a tv stand or something, haha.

And yes, I know what boost entails. The other option for the next engine project is a single turbo 383 in Dad's 1969 Firebird :D It WILL happen damnit.

11. Creek

Creek Registered Member

4X4HIGH is spot on. You will spend more time and money making that free blower work than the cost of buying a setup made for your application. The 2 stroke Detroit Diesels did not use the blower as a power adder. Since it did not use crankcase compression to force the air into the cylinder, as a normal gas 2 stroke forced the fuel/oil/air mixture into the cylinder, it required a positive pressure device to do so. They were never designed to be used on a four stroke. Sure, it could be made work but not as well as a modern system for the same or less money.

David

12. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

I appologize Sled Dog, didn't mean to doubt your knowledge, just misunderstood your question. Guess I should read slower and type faster. :doah:

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh if it could be put together cheap it would be a cool item for an old school rat rod. Get some old piece of crap 350, throw on the old oily blower, drop it in a rusty old rod and just drive around making the noise :) I'll just let it sit and keep my eye out for parts and see if it can be pieced together over time.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No problem, you don't know me from the next yahoo.

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Yes you can. I've overhauled 6-71s before. blower and engine. I' have 3 6-71 blowers in my garage and 1 8v-71. The 92 blowers are just too long. You will run into the dizzy and overhang the crank pulley. snouts are not cheap, you will not find a drivesystem for pennies. To slap a 71 blower on a gasser sure you can, is it nearly as efficient as the current aftermarket roots blowers, no of course not. But it will make you power, and sound flippin cool.

Heres the last 6-71 I did. Cost me $200cad for overhaul kit. plus #50 for new sealed double roller bearings for the rear. Because when run on a gasser there is no oil flow for the bearings like when on the detroit. Where the aftermarket snout bolts up to a 6-71 blower is the rear of the blower when its hanging off a detroit. and both sets of bearings get a gravity drain oil feed from the side of the block. Now on the gasser the blower gets turned around and the snout side keeps the stock bearings and gets drilled and tapped for a fill/breather and a 3/4" npt sight glass but filled with oil. Rear bearings are changed to high speed sealed doubler rollers, end cavity is dry. BTW, you can overhaul a blower in an afternoon at most, If you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...............heres the 8v-71 I'm gonna stick on my rat one day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]