Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting a floor jack to Air over

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I picked up a 4 ton floor jack for cheap. Its got some missing broken handle parts. I work with alot of pneumatics at work and found a on/nuetral/off air foot pedal. I figure I could make a air over jack out of what I have. Big question how do I do it? I think a air over hyd system would be better(and safer) than just air. Anyone?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    anyone?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hey, what's up with the name? Were you in/are the Cav?

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

This would be difficult to do. Air pressure is normally about 100 psi. Not sure what pressure the jack is designed for, but I will guess 800 to 1000 psi. That means that if you want to retain the lifting capacity of the jack, you need to bump your pressure by about 5 to 10 times. This is done in air over oil hyd. systems using a multiplier. The multiplier can be a cylinder with an area on the air side 5 to 10 times the area on the oil side. Now on the oil side, you have to have enough oil capacity to stroke the jack cylinder full stroke. This means that you need a muliplier device with a lot of stroke, or it has to have a reciprocating function similar to the original jack handle (many strokes of the handle to get full stroke on the jack). I could keep going with this, but the bottom line is that it would not be a simple undertaking.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

If you need that much PSI, couldn't you just get a pressure booster? I used one on a project at work that was a very small one that boosted 100PSI to 250PSI. I know that you can buy them for very high PSI, but can't recall the company that makes them.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>