Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting a m1008 to gas.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crimescene, Nov 16, 2005.

1. crimescene

crimescene Registered Member

Has anyone done this already that can give me insight?
    Wanting to be 454/400/divorced 205/ a/c/ pw/ pl/ quad h/lamps.

Do I just need a donor truck that had all this and swap all the wiring?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Any particular reason you want to convert from Diesel to Gas? Just curious I wish I would have bought the diesel I was looking at over my 350 but that is just me. It should be straight forward if you are putting a carbed 454 in there is minimal wiring involved. Distributor, starter and charging system.

Ira

3. crimescene

crimescene Registered Member

The diesel is shot and I want to use it for mudracing, bogging, climbing whatever. I have a perfectly good 454 sitting around begging for a home.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Makes sense. I am pretty sure that it is straight forward. I dunno if those are 24V or not that might change somethings but I am not sure.

Ira

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine is now a truggy, but it started as an M1008 with a dead 6.2. Conversion is not bad. When I did it, I got a K5 tank to ditch the saddle tank for clearance, but you could run the diesel tank after cleaning. I also went to a TBI 350 and got the ECM and all the under hood wiring plus in cab. That got rid of the 24V stuff and made it pretty much a "bolt in" affair. The only other thing I did was replumb for the EFI, but on a carb, all you would need to do is rework the engine compartment tubing.

6. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may also need a new gauge cluster if you even use them. :D If you want look in my pics at the bottom and you may see something I am leaving out. I did the same thing awhile ago but I had a donor gas vehical, lots of pics.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just finished the swap on a buddy's truck. Nothing too complicated, Just wire in the distributor, and alternator. I gutted my buddy's old harness to clean it up some.
    Old Motor
    [​IMG]

New 4 Bolt Main 9.5:1 350
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

I just added the junction block where the water seperater was to make it easier to troubleshoot. I wish I had more than a few hours at a time to do this project. It was not complicated at all. We actually siphoned the tank as well as we could and topped off with gas, it fouled the plugs when we first ran it after a tank or two the smoking and fouling has gone away.