Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting a Q-jet to electrical choke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Dec 4, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I have a carter q-jet and I was thinking of converting it from mech (heat pot) to electric. Anyone done this that can give me some ideas.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some of the Q-jets are apparently pretty easy to do this to...pull the mech stuff off, bolt on an electric from a newer Q-jet.

I have however, seen Q-jet castings that will NOT accept the electric choke setup. As I recall, it was because the pads where the electric choke mounts on the carb body were not correct.

Since yours is a fairly early Q-jet, I'd be a bit cautious when trying to do such a swap, as things that early tended to be a bit less set in stone.

Personally I'm not a fan of the electric chokes. Seem to be VERY difficult for most people to get set right (no implication of your skill level, just based on past instances) and when you have to replace the electrical choke portion, it is PRICEY from the sources I've seen, usually around $50-70!

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, I looked into an electric choke setup because my intake will not accomodate the stock choke. After looking for a while it seemed no one had anything that would work on my carb (a Carter Q-jet).

I ran a manual choke for a while and now just leave the choke wide open all the time :D