Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting an 8-lug to a 6-lug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, just so I don't get anyone's hopes up here, you really can't convert a 14BFF to 6-lug without making custom hubs for it and maybe even custom shafts. Cheaper to just buy new wheels. What I am talking about is converting an 8-lug Semi-floating 14B to 6 lug. I have thought it possible for quite a while and have finally found a source that says they can deliver the adapter.

This adapter will do two things:
    1) let you bolt your 6-lug wheels to an 8-lug S/F axle. the adapter bolts to the wheel lugs and then the wheel bolts to the adapter.
    2) moves the rear wheels outward to make the rear track the same as the front.

It is the killing two birds with one stone effect that makes this attractive. The other option that I considered was to have the axle shafts filled and drilled to 6-lug (Moser Engineering charges $50/pair) and then buy new 6-lug drums (for a 90's light-duty 3/4-ton). But since I also wanted to space out my rear track width to match the front, this starts to become more expensive. A set of 1.5" spacers sells for about $130/pair. With the adapter, the axle has no custom parts, so if an axleshaft breaks, a junkyard trip is all it would take. With any spacer/adapter thicker than 1/4", it is a little more time consuming to service the rear brakes or remove the shafts. Oh well.

So here is the email that I sent out:> To: 'spd@skulte.com'
    > Subject: wheel adapters for Chevy Trucks?
    >
    >
    > I am interested in wheel adapters to bolt onto a semi-floating
    > 8-lug 14-bolt
    > rear axle and then bolt Chevy 6-lug rims to it. 1.5-2" of spacing would
    > actually be great. Do you do stuff like this?
    >

And their response:
    " We can fabricate these adapters for you. We just need to know the bolt
    circle dimensions and thickness required, and then can machine them. The
    price depends on the billet thickness and diameter, and turnaround time for
    custom adapters is 7 days. Prices for the custom adapters are from $149-$179
    per pair. They are fabricated from 6061 billet aluminum, come with HD stucds
    and chrome lugnuts. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for the email.

------------------
    Andris Skulte
    Skulte Performance Designs
    Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.skulte.com>http://www.skulte.com</a>"

So why am I doing this? The answer is simple: I want to run 15" Aluminum wheels. Which leads to my one concern: If I want to run disc brakes, having the axle be 8-lug will require an 8-lug rotor, which then requires caliper spacing like on the front axles, which we all know will not clear a 15" Aluminum wheel. So for disc brakes, it should be done at the same time the axle is swapped in and the "drill and fill" method should be used to get the smaller 6-lug disc brake to work. Has anyone put Eldorado calipers inside a 15" Aluminum wheel yet?

Sorry this is so long.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I'd read all that last year. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20. My next set of tires/wheels will be 16" though.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

As an update, skulte gave me pricing. I wrote:

"&gt;The 6-lug pattern of the wheel is the standard Chevy 6 on 5.5" and the pattern of the axle is the standard Chevy 8 on 6.5". The desired thickness of the adapter is 1.50"

Is this enough information for a firm quote?
    What is shipping to 4XXXX?"

And the response:
    " We machine adapters for the trucks fairly often. The ID of the adapter can be machined to your specification, if you wish. They will be one piece 6061 billet aluminum with heavy duty studs and chrome lugnuts included. The
    custom thickness generally takes 7 days to machine. The custom adapters are $159 per pair, and shipping is $8.25 per pair. I would have them drop shipped directly from the machine shop to save time. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the email.

------------------
    Andris Skulte
    Skulte Performance Designs
    Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
    http://www.skulte.com"

Keep in mind that a set of spacers (not adapters) generally sells for this same price. I will ask for some drawings to confirm that it is all feasible.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>