Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting Dana 44 to 8-lug - which hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IGOR, Nov 24, 2002.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 72 K5 Blazer with a 6-lug Dana 44 with front discs. I'd like to convert it to 8-lug.

After reading the tech article on doing this, and reading this old post:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=554572&page=40&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I am under the impression that this is relatively easy to do, just by getting new spindles (possibly), rotors, backing plates, and the miscellaneous required bearings.

I am confused about the different hubs available and which rotor/spindle I need to get for external bolt hubs.

The tech article has this pic of a hub that looks like a 1/2 ton hub to me even though it's obviously 3/4 ton. I'm used to seeing the big hubs (old Spicer) then converting them to external bolt style

[​IMG]

I believe this is the rotor I need to use as shown below from thatK30guy's website for the front to convert my 6-lug to an 8-lug with the external hubs
    [​IMG]

This is the style of hub I would like to use.

[​IMG]

Is this merely a matter of getting the proper rotor?

Also, do I have to get a "first design" spindle or a "second design" spindle to make this work?

Thanks for the help...

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For a 72 you should need the first design spindles. You will also need the hub & rotor assemblies (not locking hubs) form a 1st design 3/4 ton truck (this is assuming that you have external hubs). You will also need the brake backing plates from the same truck. Then your 1/2 ton locking hubs should work on the 3/4 ton hub assemblies.

I converted my 10 bolt from 6 to 8 this summer and all I needed was the hub & rotor assemblies, and backing plates from a 2nd design 3/4 ton truck. My locking hubs worked just fine, and also my spindles and calipers were just fine.

The hub assemblies did need new wheel studs, and bearing and racies, and the rotors needed turned, but thats it.

3. IGOR

I have internal bolt hubs on my 1/2 ton right now. I have an extra set of 3/4 ton external hubs laying around so that's why I'd like to go that route.

So the first design spindles are weaker, but they allow the external hubs to bolt on - is that true?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have been told that yes, the first design spindles are weaker. If you use the first design spindles, hub (again, not locking hub) & rotor assemblies then yes, you should be able to use your set of 3/4 ton external hubs. If you switch to the 2nd design (stronger) spindles & corresponding hub assembles, backing plates, etc, then your current 1/2 ton hubs might work. (not sure if the internal hubs for a 72 are the same as internals off later axles like mine)

On the later model axles like mine the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton hubs are the exact same.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you desire to run the external locking hub, which is the first design, you need to reuse the '72 spindles, which are also first design. No changing on the spindles here as long as you find the first design bearing hub/rotor and also importantly, the brake backing plates.
    But you can use ANY year backing plate, first and second design, as long as they are the 3/4 ton version. Does not matter what year it's from. You can use '91 Sub 3/4 ton backing plates and they will work fine.
    Just keep the bearing hub/rotors and the spindles in the same class of the first design and you will be just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. IGOR

Hey thanks for the info guys -

One more question - are the rotors the same hub/rotors as I will need for my corp 14 rear disc brake conversion as well?

I wonder if NAPA gives quantity discounts on individual p/ns? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

hey ben, locking hub (warn) # is 9072 and the 8 lug hubs and rotor.i'm doing this same conversion

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, the rotors for the 14FF rear disc are the same as the fronts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

all chevy 3/4 ton rotors are the same diameter and thickness i believe.and that is what you need for disk brake conversion on the 14bff