Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting Diesel Burb to Gas Motor??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Mar 20, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Any ideas on how much work is involved with wiring and other conversion stuff? I can get a complete diesel burb minus the motor for $300 and I'm thinking about puting my 355 in it... I need a rundown of the cost. The burb is an 82 4x4 with TH700R4 and NP208 with I THINK 3.73 gears. I'd be transferring my motor, SM465 and NP208 from my 86 K5.

Thanks guys.

P.S. I'd be able to do all the work in my shop, but I need to have a rundown before I even think of starting the project. My other option is if one of you guys has a 6.2 for sale for dirt cheap that still runs. The t-case is junk in the burb, which is why I'm moving the tranny and t-case together.

2. PhoenixZorn

ttt... need help here guys...

3. PhoenixZorn

meh... one more time....

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

shouldnt be to spendy if u already got a motor to throw into it.

Just the motor mounts and tranny mount, and if its gonna be carbed dont need a ton of wires anyway. It would cost alot less than buying a 6.2 to put in there.

brad

5. PhoenixZorn

Indeed it would... since I already have the engine... I was under the impression that the 6.2 and 350s had the same engine mounts... or is that the 6.2s and big blocks? I have no problem relocating mounts. I guess the biggest expense is going to be replacing the gas tank, getting a new intake and carburator (since the other one is melted to the intake...) and running new fiel lines throughout the truck. I would also tend to think I'd need a new Tourque converter if I stick with the automatic, but I'm still leaning towards the SM465 out of my Blazer. The last thing I'd need to worry about is drifeshaft length, since the SM465/NP208 combo is about six inches shorter than the TH400 or 700R4/NP208 combo.

Here's the rundown so far...

82 Suburban Chassis and Body minus engine - $300... The truck is solid, I was going to buy the whole thing for $1000, but my boss couldn't wait for me anymore and sold the motor out of the truck. There is common area rusting, rockers, door bottoms, but nothing a little grinding and filling can't fix. The interior is super clean, and would be worth the $300 even if the body were falling off.

Replacement 40 gallon gas tank - $140 from LMCTruck
    Sending Unit for 40 gallon tank - $60 from LMC
    Fuel Lines - about $150 for everything I need unless I can reuse the diesel lines after flushing them...

Quadrajet - No less than $350 from what I've found so far unless I buy a couple of junkers and rebuild them.

Intake - Edelbroke Performer likely, other suggestions welcome... - $100

Top end motor cleanup... new valve guides and replace any other parts that look to have any fire damage - $300-400

Front and rear driveshaft alterations at a driveline shop - $100 each.

Clutch mechanism and transmission tunnel for SM465 - $50 junk yard.

Other possible options are taking a long leaf out of my Blazer spring pack to put in the rear of the Burb as an add-a-leaf, and taking the rest of the spring packs from the rear of the Blazer for the front of the Burb. The 32" BFG A/Ts would go on the Burb too. These are free, minus any modifications I have to pay for to get it all done.

So the rundown...

$300
    $140
    $60
    $150
    $350
    $100
    $400
    $100
    $50
    _____
    $1650