Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting for power to manual lock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, May 6, 2002.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me hom to do this? My power locks dont work very good, and I can barely pull them up by hand.

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Take locking mechanisms out of a truck at a salvage yard with manual locks. I converted a car w/ power windows and locks to manual so you shouldnt have too big a problem. (it had been in an accident and someone replaced the drivers door with one that had power stuff in it) But if you are going to bother replacing them just replace them with electric locks that work.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd have to replace door panels for it to look good, so instead, as has been suggested, just fix them.

My passenger side lock wouldn't open unless I hit the switch 3 or 4 times, but it would move up a tiny bit each time. The key was darn near impossible to use, it felt like it was going to break.

Take off the door panel, and look through the inside of the door to the lock mechanism. Operate the lock, and look for the flat piece that pivots on a pin. Spray that pin with WD-40 and see if the problem goes away. That solved mine. If I have to do mine over, I'll probably try that grease that comes in an aerosol can that is supposed to "thicken up" after you spray it. WD-40 isn't really made for that kind of job, but again, it worked in mine, and still is.

It would be more work/expense to swap over to manual windows, and besides, in these large trucks, (when they work) PDL's are a necessity IMO. As long as the lock solenoid is trying to move the lock, *it's* not bad. It's just that the lock mechanism is likely dirty, and the solenoids aren't strong enough to overcome that.