Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting from 6.2 to SBC 400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Feb 4, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What would it take to convert my 84 K5 w/ a 6.2 over to gas? I blew the motor last week in the K5 last weekend and I can't afford to replace it. I picked up a 79 K10 short box with a 400/400/203 setup. Body is kinda rough. Debating between just building up the K10 or putting the motor in the K5. Obviously just building the K10 will be no adaptation. What all would I need to do to convert the diesel rig to a gas one? Thanks. Don't forget that I have the donor vehicle.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not that this is going to help you, but I was looking at govliquidation.com or whatever the DRMO/DRMS sales site is, and noticed there were a BUNCH of 6.2L motors in crates going out the door. No idea on condition and what not, and I know you already have a truck with a motor, but a proper diesel conversion to gas is a fair hassle. (depends on what kind of emissions inspection you have to go through, if any)

Your swap would never be federally legal, since the 400 wasn't offered in 84+, if that doesn't matter to you, some of the diesel to gas swap folks I'm sure can help you out.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I swapped my 6.2 for a 350. I had a donor truck, but it was a standard. So I needed a new torque converter. Here's everything else I can think of:

• Motor mounts match right up.
    • Tranny bolts right up.
    • If you keep the diesel radiator you'll have to do some special stuff with the radiator hoses. I can't remember what they're called, but they have a green stripe and they are universal. Super heavy duty. If you search my old posts I know I've posted the name of them before.
    • If you keep the hydroboost you will need to custom make brackets by creatively combining the two. Or if you're lucky you may find a 1-ton 350 with hydroboost and that would get you the correct brackets.
    • I just flushed as much diesel out of the tank as I could and then filled it with gas. Really didn't make it run that terrible.
    • If the donor still has factory manifolds they will line up with the factory exhaust pipes from the diesel. Can't remember if the donut gaskets are the same though.
    • Course you need an ignition source for the distributor. And don't be silly like me and a glow plug wire, it looses power after a little bit. :doah:
    That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Found post on radiator hoses

This is my old post on the radiator hoses.