Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting from A/C to Non-A/C Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I pulled the pump to put in an air compressor and I pulled the condensor to add a power steering cooler and a tranny cooler. I might as well dump all the stuff hanging off of the firewall. What holes will I need to patch and will I be able to bolt up the non A/C heater setup without too much fuss? Thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Drop a PM to seslick77 if he doesn't see this thread. He has converted his K5 from a/c to non a/c. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Sandman

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

When you get the non A/C heater parts the holes to be filled will be fairly obvious. There is a 7"x10" rectangle hole that needs a patch, that should get you about 99% done. You'll need two holes in the patch piece for the heater core inlet/outlet to go thru.....about 1" I think. Email or PM if ya need anything more specific.

5. Sandman

Sounds pretty straitforward. Thanks for the info.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That info's fresh on his mind....he just did mine last nite... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

you will also need the controls that mount to the dashboard along with the cables. Also...try to get the wire plug-in connections of a non AC truck because they are totaly different.

8. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

You will need air box to mount to outside firewall, and the under-dash box that the heater core is in. Controller, cables, and the small set of wires to hook up the blower motor. Make sure you get all these parts from the same year truck...dont use 3 different years of trucks like i did!! (dont ask) I got some pics somewhere, just gotta remember where i saved em!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif They are of the patch job I did. It was pretty easy once you get all the parts in front of you. It really cleans up that side of the engine compartment. Oh, pull the pass. side inner fender to get to all the damn bolts for the box cover...otherwise it comes out in pieces. i learned this after i took my favorite hammer to it!! I'll find those pics and post a link. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Later, Sam