Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting from automatic to manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pulser9, Apr 19, 2006.

1. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

So when I put the rebuilt engine in the 79 c20 I want to put a rebuilt transmision in it to. Right now its automatic, to put in a manual transmision what would it involve me to change and is it very hard?

2. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Just hit up the junkyard for the pedal assembly, linkage, and z-bar. The crossmember on my 74 was the same for auto or manual so I just re-used that. The holes in my frame matched up as well. I had a TH350 with NP203 and went to a SM465 with NP205. Driveshafts were different lengths also.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

or hitup a boneyard and find a 1985 or newer hydraulic clutch setup. I had the mechanical and it sucked.. stiff spring so it was hard on the leg to shift.... hydro clutch all you need is the pedal assembly from in the cab, resivour outside, brake master cylinder, bellhousing and stuff... like cluch fork, clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc....

all in all since you are going to have the tranny and motor out.. id just go this route.. you will never regret it....:wink1:

4. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Do you know if the clutch pedals are different between the hydro and non-hydro clutch linkage? Reason I ask is because I have an old style clutch pedal that I would like to use if possible.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yes they are different.. I swapped mine out and saw a difference...