Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting from gas to diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by beater_k20, Apr 26, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've been considering a diesel conversion for a while, as well as selling my DD in favor of a heavier, diesel powered rig. what is it going to take to put a 6.2 in my 86? also, what makes diesels so much more fuel efficient than a gas engine?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have never converted a vehicle to diesel so I can't answer your first question. Diesels are more efficient for a few reasons, biggest of which is the fact that they are unthrottled so have very superior volumetric efficiency compared to a gas engine and they run lean of a stoichiometric unlike a gas engine where the fuel and air have to be kept at a certain ratio for best performance, the fuel has a higher BTU content, and the amount of air entering the engine has no bearing on the amount of fuel that can be injected, so basically a diesel can "lug" much better because it can add more fuel at lower rpms.

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ditto ...what he said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Couldn't have said it better !!!!!

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yo Jeremey! Good to see ya!

The 6.2L itself is just a basic bolt-in. It's all the other stuff, like alternator, PS pump, a/c compressor, radiator, etc. that is different from the gassers. The easiest thing to do is buy an old diesel beater truck, swap all the stuff you need to your 86, then sell what's left.

Several of us have done conversions. Not too hard at all.

Casey

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Casey, i almost PMed you the other day, but figured someone else might have a little something extra to add. i'm not 100% sure what im doing for a power plant yet, as i just made the deal for a Dana 60. first thing is first. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have never converted a vehicle to diesel so I can't answer your first question. Diesels are more efficient for a few reasons, biggest of which is the fact that they are unthrottled so have very superior volumetric efficiency compared to a gas engine and they run lean of a stoichiometric unlike a gas engine where the fuel and air have to be kept at a certain ratio for best performance, the fuel has a higher BTU content, and the amount of air entering the engine has no bearing on the amount of fuel that can be injected, so basically a diesel can "lug" much better because it can add more fuel at lower rpms.

[/ QUOTE ]

One more thing to add, with everything being equal, the higher compression (21:1) also gets you more power out of less fuel so you get better efficiency.