Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting from TBI to carbuerated?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Dec 26, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Feb 18, 2000
    A friend of mine wants to convert his '87 K5 from TBI to carb. I told him I'd find out what all he was going to need to do. Well, what better place to ask than good old CK5!

I told him that he'd definately need the carb(duh!) and he'll have to change the intake manifold. I also told him he wants a carb with an electric choke. I know how to put all the stuff on and do all that good stuff. He's going to keep the TBI stuff incase he decides to go back to fuel injection. He's also going to put headers on it, but what about the distributor? Does he need a different one than the one that's on the engine? So basically all I'm asking is, what all is going to have to be changed in order to make the carb work. Thanks again guys! Long time not been here too. I'm still alive......uhhhhh......well........I think. haha Cya!

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    I can think of a few things right off the top of my head...

He'll need a distributor that has the mechanical and vacuum advance. On TBI's it's fixed and the computer controls the timing by delaying the signals. He'll need an alternate method to control the lockup on the 700R4. He'll also need a fuel pressure regulator to keep the electric fuel pump from pushing the needle off its seat. And some way to control power to the fuel pump. It's currently controlled by the computer and a relay. He could remove that pump and go with a mechanical fuel pump.

Is there a reason he wants to do this? Is he going to heavily modify the engine? Is the TBI not working properly? Removing it is a lot of work just to get an engine that doesn't run as well. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...
  3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Sep 12, 2001
    is he going to be selling his tbi stuff?
    im interested for sure
    let me know
    i have an 85 thats carbeurated that i want to inject with tbi

chrome sucks
  4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Mar 31, 2001
    sounds kinda nuts if you ask me... if it was a car I would consider it, but in a truck (if used as a truck) he's probably going to be on inclines that would be better suited to TBI.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>
  5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Jan 2, 2001
    Did you read the post?

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd