Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting headlights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Apr 26, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i want to convert my headlights to halogen. who sells a kit that has both low and high beams? i found one on jc whitney but it only sells a pair. wasnt sure if i have to buy 2 pairs for both low and high beam, or is it a seperate thing?

**EDIT** or does anyone know of an HID conversion either?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003804/showCustom-0/p-2003804/N-200002259+111+1991+600009403/c-10105

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I think the 91's use the 150mm housings, but you need to check to be sure. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/headlamps.asp That will convert you over to H4/H1 headlights, I did it to mine (diff headlight setup, mine are stacked lights) and the difference is awesome.

3. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

cool thanks, im gonna have to look into that

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If you are referring to your your '91, your headlights are already halogen, they are just the sealed beam version....

i am thinkin you want to convert to the composite setup, with the replaceable bulb (from behind)

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

6. crometooth

crometooth Registered Member

I used the lights from JC witney for my low beams, they work great but the quality isnt the greatest (go figure). I dont think you should use them for high beams though, the pattern is pretty wide... Unless you only use them off road.

Headlight relays are mandatory after installing the H4 conversion, They draw way more current then my old sealed beams.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also consider buying the European style headlight lenses. Those things are simply awesome.

My 77 has a set of European style H4 lenses with 100w/85w (high/low) drivers in them, and they are simply incredible, midaswell be driving with the sun on your roof!

However, being the European type lense, they don't irritate people at all when you are on low beam. I've never once been highbeamed unless I forgot to come off highbeam (and trust me, you gotta be quick with 100 watt highbeams, you get highbeamed in a real hurry if you don't, lol)

And as mentioned, relays, and a wiring upgrade is manditory with big driver's like mine. I wired my 77 with like a 8 gauge wire, which is overkill, big time, 14 gauge would probally be fine. My relays are 40 amp, again, overkill, but I happened to have a pair.

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

They dont make em for the 89-91 style lights.

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

How about these for the hi/lo lights:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/150mm.asp

Then adapting some 150mm driving lights for use in the hi beam holes?

10. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

SierraClassic was talking about euro lights. K20 posted up the same link you did. I really like the hella conversion. It is now on a list of things to do.

11. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i was under the impression though that once you convert it, it wont be sealed anymore. i could be wrong though.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

what am i missing here?:confused:

when i mean seald beam version, thats the glass sealed units, the composite units are the plastic housings that require the replaceable bulb that plugs in from the back.....

the composite units are sealed, somewhat, with a rubber o-ring, the the housing is usually glued together.

13. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i mean once i did the conversion, i wouldnt have sealed beams anymore, id have composites. like i said im not sure, thats just what i thought