Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting Jeepers, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 21, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A buddy of mine is likely becoming a K5 convert. He is a Full Size Jeep guy(had a wagoneer then a J10), hes in a 2wd 6.9L Diesel Ford F250 right now. He got stuck real bad the other night and said ok fine someone find me a 4x4 for under $1200. Just so happens theres a 78 K5, with SM465, NP205(converted by previous owner), crate 350, and 10/12 bolt combo right by my house for $950. I told him what to look out for rust wise but he says so far it looks good(hes not dumb), hes gonna go test drive it tonight. If he gets it we are puting on a 6" Rough Country all spring lift and 36s TSLs most likely. Be good by me to have another K5er around.

2. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

yea, so i figured i should sorta join.

and it was a cherokee get it right. plus dont put down jeeps, it followed u everywhere, fun days at school. lol

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes mudding in the school lot... ha. you also has 33 TSLs that sure did throw more mud than my K5. I was waiting on you to show up.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you plannin on putting those 36's on the half ton's? i was wondering bout that with my truck but unsure of its strength

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Don't worry if I get him to the Chevy side of things sooner or later I'll get him to at least the 3/4 ton. If it all comes together I will be interested to see my 4" lifted, 37 K5, next to a 6" lifted 36s.

6. cow killer

i aint to worries bout it, dont do to bad wheeling yet, will upgrade sonner or later.

and the only reason i didnt have mud flyin is cause i idled threw it, u hit it at full throttle

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I just bought a TJ, so that will even everything out.

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a feeling that my wheeling buddies who both drive j**ps will be converting pretty soon, the last time we went wheeling one broke his front drive shaft and the other broke his rear drive shaft. I am beginning to feel like a "j**p recovery unit" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

He drove it, came right over, he had his first "blazer experience". Kept asking me all these little things, asking mine was like that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Mostly it was.

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

thats sweet. I hope to get a K5 someday...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah sounds like hes not gonna get it though. Gonna ask his uncle about a Suzuki Samurai he has, ha.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

any1 whos had an interest in heeps at some point is beyond hope. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ive never liked em, even when i was a lil kid and just about everything military or 4x4 related was cool...

j

13. cow killer

hold up, lets get this straight. i HATE little jeeps, (xj, cj, yj, ect) only FULL SIZES will work. lol i want another, but cant find any.

no aint gona get it, but still keepin an eye out.

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh, and if you do plan on getting a lift, dont get rough country. Rough country springs ride just like they sound ROUGH! If you want an all spring lift, go with tuff country ez ride's which are nice and soft and flexy, or go with bds which have a nice on road ride, and are very flexy offroad. Plus, bds springs come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Or, you could do what I did, echobit shackle flip in the rear, with 4" front bds springs and azero rate. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -harrison

15. cow killer

i had rough country before. aint worried. i drivin an f250 right now, so am used to the rough rides. plus i duno yet so simmer. lol

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a feeling that my wheeling buddies who both drive j**ps will be converting pretty soon, the last time we went wheeling one broke his front drive shaft and the other broke his rear drive shaft. I am beginning to feel like a "j**p recovery unit" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, "Jeep Recovery Unit"..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The main weak point in 1/2 tons are the rears when you compare to 3/4's... I have run 35's on 1/2 tons for a long time and have only broken 1 rear axle shaft(a 14ff would've broke in the same situation)... I have never broke a 12 bolt and have been hard on the throttle with the rear tires bouncing off the ground.(and spiders welded and in rocks)

I dont understand why everyone worries so with 1/2 tons, especially in mud....

18. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

That looks like the beginning of a pretty badass recovery unit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. cow killer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats the "cow". my first fsj. i still want another it went everywhere.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that supposed to be a rock lasso or....? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j