Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting K-10 to 1 ton axles ? rear is from a duallie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJS, Dec 17, 2003.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 K-10. See sig. I have a chance to get an 84 cab/chassis 1 ton duallie for free. I have not looked at the truck yet to make sure it has a 14bFF, but I think it does cause it is a cab/chassis model. It has a blown diesel in it as well. I am sure it has a Dana 60 up front. I am thinking I am going to install the duallie rear in my truck. I am making a flat bed for it so the wheels sticking out is no big deal. My question is are the spring purches the same or not. If not what mods do I need to do to the housing and the frame of the truck. Also, the front dana 60, is it wider than my 10 bolt I have now. Is there an article on this somewhere. I read the one in the new magazine(forgot name) and I felt it was not in depth enough. Thanks.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe you can just get single rear wheel hubs for the 14BFF and the 60 then you are all set. Not sure on the perches I think they have to be moved, but that's not a big deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good deal I'd jump all over that prolly $1500-$1700 in just axles not to mention tranny and T-case. Even if you don't need the parts sell them off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but I think I want to keep the duallie look.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks, but I think I want to keep the duallie look.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I believe you just need to change the perches and shock mounts for the rear ohh yeah and a U-joint. For the front I think it's a direct swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Check the rear axle width, cab & chassis models can have very narrow axles. Typically, the very wide housings are in pick ups.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

or cant u just get those fiberglass fenders for dualie conversions? ive though about doing a dually conversion in a truck someday myself.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have a 76 2wd cab chassis, it has a 14 bolt, and the outside dual is very close of being on the same track as the front tire. the cab chasis duals are usually not the same as a K30 standard cab longbed, they have almost the full outside dual sicking out of the bedside.

The front dana 60 is going to be consideribly wider, it is meant to have a duallie wheel mounted to it, if you mount a standard wheel to that axle, the whole tire will be sticking out from the fender.

i think you could get more direct answers if you explain your "big plan" in more detail.

you should move the roof marking lights over too

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well i know that 1 ton have narrower set leaf pack perches than 1/2 and 3/4 ton all years 63-87 and just 2wd 63-72, 63-72 all 4x4 are same perches as 1 ton all years 63-up,
    dually cab chassis axle will barely tuck under pickup bed i know, but pickup dually ones(exist only in '77-up) are a little narrower, so..

so cab chassis dually axle be almost same width as 4x4 front yep! :P

so if you ar eputting 1 ton axle under 1/2 or 3/4 ton then you wil be relocating spring perches as already described and the U joint swap too and then youll be fine, unless its a 72-older axle then you will either have to add shock mounts, or relocate the one that is on wrong sid eof axle tube because 72-older all sizes of trucks were both on same side of axle tubing, and rear shocks were not std equipment- you had to order these for 1 tons back then- unless you ordered certain spring options that would include rear shocks equipment

next time you see 1 ton dually older than 73 look under bacxk and see if it has shocks, some do and others dont, i have had them with both and have the GM PRO options info here that lists how and what got rear shocks C30 series.

but sinc ei just looked againa nd you say its an 84 dually, then you can just diregard all the 72-older dually shocks and mounting info

you have about 85% chance of the 84 dually axle fitting inside the k10 bed tubs, if not then get skinnier sidewall tires or lift the truck more /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hope that helps ?

good luck