Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting low hump cabs to high hump - unremovable cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I found a 32 spline SM465 / 205 combo for 50 bucks. 205 needs a new front seal, and the SM465 needs new o-rings, and for the piviot ball on the shifter to be re-welded to the shaft. So, I've decided I'll run my truck married until I find a good 2wd NV4500, at which point I'll run the divorced 205.

My question relates to my cab though. As it stands, my cab has a low hump (originally a 2wd with a TH400) floor in it that doesn't come off. How would a guy go about cutting that out, and installing a new removeable high hump for the SM465?

Should I just cut out as much as I need, then run bolts through the floor, with some silicone between the two peices, or should I cut the entire section of floor out, and weld in a new peice with the bolt holes in it?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Drill out the spotwelds and run the e-nuts or whatever those spring nuts are, with bolts through the hump, weatherstrip/sealant of some type between the halves when you put it back together.

3. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Just cut out what you need from a 4wd cab and patch it into your 2wd cab. Cut an opening in your 2wd cab for the bolt in section. Drill holes for the bolts and use seam selaer between the bolt in piece and the cab.

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'd get the high cap/cover first, the cut to fit. That way you won't remove too much metal.
    :D

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Cut enough of the floor to get the entire opening and bolt holes, then weld it to your floor. There's a raised lip at the edge of the opening to help the cover seal properly. That would be pretty difficult to fab up on your existing floor.