Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting My Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79blzrfan, Oct 19, 2004.

1. 79blzrfan

79blzrfan Registered Member

I have a 79 Blazer and I would like to remove the hardtop and turn it into a really short bed pickup. I plan use the back end of a pickup cab on the back of my cab and seal the box. I want to lay in some new material to make the bed and seal the inside of the Blazer box with diamond plate and splice on a regular pickup tailgate. Has anyone else done this and what year cab will fit up to mine to make the splicing as direct as possible. Thanx for the help /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a '76 K5 blazer that was converted exactly the way you are describing. The body on mine was already done when I got it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shot from back

They used a '73-'80 truck cab, cut the back part, and molded it behind the Blazer cab. They used filler to smooth out the rough areas, but did a very good job for the most part.

Here are more pics of it: (I had a Blazer top on it for a while as a canopy).
    http://community.webshots.com/album/41363667APUTic

3. 79blzrfan

79blzrfan Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I really like the look of a converted Blazer. I like the shell on the back but as an avid hunter a pickup is a lot easier to put game in. There is a converted Blazer running around my neighborhood and it looks awesome. I have the new engine and transmission done and all the new sheet metal I'm just waiting on a donor cab for the back section. Please post a pic of the back cab section if you have the time so I can see how they blended in the bed area. Thanx Scott