Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting power windows to manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Mar 24, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, search sucks. Either there are 50 posts a day about this topic or somebody has it in their sig....which is a crappy sig line, btw! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyway, I have power windows that dont work and I'm planning on swapping in some manual regulators and cranks this week. I've got the regulators and cranks already. What else do I need to complete the job? How do I know where to cut...any tips? I'd like to get this done soon cause it sucks to cruise around in the spring/summer with my winders rolled up. Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide..

And btw, any wires I should make sure not to cut??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Do you have power locks, if so make sure you don't cut those wires if you are keeping them /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yup, i have power locks, but I'm pulling that bs out too...they work just like manuals now and I like it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't cut ANY of the wires. Pull them out the way they are supposed to be (connector under the dash) and sell them to some other unfortunate soul that needs them. My opinion anyways, there is call for these things.

I believe everything is in the door already (for the mounting, etc) but you'll need new door panels if you want it to look good.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I agree just unplug the harness. No cuttin required. Other than that it's a bolt-in operation. Take out the lock actuators, it'll make it easier to unlock/lock if you want them manual. You can just take out the window switch on the door panel and the crank rod can stick through that, it doesn't look too bad. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

My last truck was an 85 1/2 ton pw. pl.
    On it I was able to just un-bolt the pwr. win. motor get it out regulator and all
    The manual crank with regulator just bolted right into the same spot no problem
    The crank even came ouy the pw.switch hole in the pannel
    IT looks harder to do than it really is
    BTW don't cut the wire harness , just unplug and leave it in the bottom of the door
    Hope this is understandable? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't cut ANY of the wires. Pull them out the way they are supposed to be (connector under the dash) and sell them to some other unfortunate soul that needs them. My opinion anyways, there is call for these things.

yes like me sell them to me bro