Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting Sealed beam grille to composite Headlamps grille?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Mar 11, 2003.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anyone done this...? Seen it done?

I have an 89 GMC and I want to go from the sealed beam style grille and lights to the composite headlamps and grille. The wiring is easy. I need to know if I need an entire core support or can I retrofit the current one to the composite style.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

did it on my old 90 GMC. They were already composite, but just get the wiring for the lights and splice them in, You don't have to change the core support, but the bottom part of the grill may not go on. On my 89, it looks like I will be able to, there are mounts for it to bolt to.It's only single light, so I will have to re-wire. If you can wait a couple years, I will do it to my truck and let you know!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm talking about going from the large two headlamp type, to the composite housing. I do appreciate the response though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hah, maybe if I would have read it...switching those over, I can't be certain. I was looking at mine, which is sealed beam, and you can see four mounting holes that look like the composite will bolt on to. I will see if I can get a set from a freind of mine and try it, will drop a line in here with the outcome.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, ive seen people do it, im pretty sure it will bolt up