Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting tailgate window to power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, Dec 8, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

is changing the tailgate window from manual to power just a matter of changing the guts of the tailgate?
    i have a donor truck with an electric tailgate, but the gate itself is too rusted.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

2. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

Yup, it's that easy. The hardest part is runninng the power to the gate. The motor take alot of juice to get the window up. If I remember right, i ran a 20 amp fuse and it pops once in a while.

Scott 87JIMMY

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To do it properly, take the entire power window wiring harness from the donor vehicle. It includes an interlock switch that prevents the window motor from running if you accidentally hit the "up" swtich while the tailgate is open.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

So according to that, switching from power to manual should be just as easy right?? I am seriously thinking of converting mine to manual while I have it apart. The reason being that most of our winter days hang around the freezing point or just a little lower and we have multiple freeze/thaw cycles in any given day! The window spends more time frozen shut in the winter than being operational!![​IMG][​IMG] If I can't figure some kind of functional heating system to mount in the tailgate; I may have to convert. Is it a simple bolt-on to go back to manual??

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

5. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Let me know about converting from power to manual, everytime i lower my windshield, everything in the blazer gets dim. The key doesn't work to lower it any more either

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

IMHO you should leave it manual. The motors go out, the cables break or get disconnected, and it doesn't even close right without using some hand action (not that kind) [​IMG] I wish mine was manual...

90K5

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Idea:
    Take one of those small 12V heatblowers that you can accesorice your interiour with. You know the kind with the sigarett lighter plug that you plug into your ashtray. Mount it in the bottom of the tailgate, run a switch to the dash, and it should provide heat too 1. make it work smoother in cold weather, 2. act as a defroster for the rear window. I might try it and tell you what I find out.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

90k5, the problem i am having is in the handle. it keeps breaking. i ordered one from....i think it was classic truck parts (or something)....and it was a cheap repro......it broke and broke the internal part with it, the lock cylinder didnt fit right. now the window goes down/up on only 1/4 turn and spins (doing nothing) for the rest 3/4 turn.
    any ideas anyone?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com