Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting to a 14 bolt, help with some info please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Jan 1, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have an 84 K5. It has the stock corp. 10 bolt rears. A friend offered me a set of 3/4ton rears for it last night. A 14 Bolt rear and a Dana 44 front. They are lower gears than my present rears(4.10 rather than 3.73) and I really want a lower gear ratio. With my weak engine, sm465, rear ratios, and 33" tires I have to start out in creeper gear all the time and don't have much power in 3rd or 4th gear. I have 3/4 ton rear springs and am happy to convert to a full out 3/4ton K5. Does anyone have some information I should know? He said it has the criss crossed shock mounts so it should just bolt right up I guess. Is the 14 bolt wider or narrower than my 10 bolt? I would love to lose that stupid narrower rear and set my rear tires out more. Oh he said the Dana 44 has drum brakes, that doesn't really bother me is there anything really wrong with that fact?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

find a front with disk, you will miss the stoping power a bit.
    a guy on here has a set for sale to convert the front to 8 lug, IIRC it should work to give you disk. Grant

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will need a different ujoint for the rear pinion.(most likely Napa #447) Also you will need the ubolts for the 3/4 ton rear axle. Beyond that it should bolt right in. Just redo the brakes, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to redo all the outer bearings in the hubs. As for the front D44 with drums, I would try and find a D44 with disk brakes. Finding one with disks and 4.10's shouldn't be that hard. Worst you could do is buy your friends and then sell it and find one with disk brakes. You will also need new rims for the 8 lug wheel pattern. (pretty obvious) As for the track change. No it won't change. Still narrower then the front.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Find out what year these axles are that your friend wants to trade for. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The D44 with drum brakes is making it sound like your friend is trading OLDER axles for newer ones. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And where OLDER in GM trucks show up, the rear is usually the Eaton rearend rather than the Corp. 14 rearend. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah the big thing is I need to see what 14 bolt it is. If its a 10.5 Corporate I think I am gonna hang on to it and use it in an upcoming project I have. Namely a 72 Blazer frame I just purchased for $50. And we aren't trading he is just going to give me a set of rears. He bought a parts truck and took off some parts he feels he got his moneys worth out of it and is just gonna give me the rears cause he was gonna get rid of them anyway.

6. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Dude I am in the process of doing this on my 84 CUCV Blazer right now. I have a DANA 60 and a 14 Bolt off an 85 1 ton Chevy Truck it is proving quite the task without the proper tools and being in Korea is tough enough. Soon as I complete I will post the pics and a complete report on the do's and don'ts. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif