Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting to a 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S. Burnham, Jun 19, 2005.

1. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

i was wondering if anybody has converted there 80,s model k5 to a 5 speed manual?

if so what is the best and easiest devorced t-case to use to do the job?

i was thinking of finding a wrecked vortec 2wh. vortec truck with a manual and so i could get the engine and trany cheap. i have a 88 k5 but dislike the auto trans. any input from you guys would be appreciated.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm curious as to why a divorced setup?

3. S. Burnham

well i don't know a lot about t-cases. i was under the impression that all the late model trucks with the vortec moters used electric activated t-case, and the front shaft came off the wrong end. can you shed a little light on this for me.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm certain it could be done pretty easily with a divorced case. I am not sure, but you may be able to buy an adapter to bolt a pass side drop t-case on, or you could get a ford diff and move the perches to use the stock driver's side drop t-case.

However, the divorced case would probally be the cheapest option (as far as I know) and would probally work pretty well too.

There are a couple different divorced cases, but I'd assume a Divorced 205 from a 74 or prior dodge, or an international would be the most common.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

All IFS Chevy's are driverside output but if you have the NP208/241 (don't know which model GM used in 88) from your blazer, stab it onto whatever transmission you want to use, I'm not 100% on this but I believe all new model manuals have a fine spline output so your T-case should bolt up. I'm guessing the tranny you want to run is an NV4500

almost forgot, not all t-cases are electric, if there is a shift lever though the floor then the t-cases is mechanical, the center axle disconnect works off a solenoid when you shift into 4wd but this isindependant of the t-case

6. S. Burnham

i found my donner truck. it is a 92 2 wheel drive with a 350 and a 5 speed. it has been totaled. i am going to be able to pick it up for about 5 or 600 dollars. does any body have any else have any good advice or recamendations for my project.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Best advice is to not buy that as a donor for a 5 speed...it would have a weak Getrag 5 speed.

The ideal 5 speed conversion is to a NV4500 found in 93 and newer 3/4 and one ton Chev's. They are 32 spline output in the 4WD versions and got the NP241 behind them from the factory. Of course they were drivers side drop, but the passenger drop 241's from 89-91 bolt right up. I am pretty sure a 32 spline 208 will bolt right up too.

Rene