Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting to a duallie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

If I buy the duallie truck I found, I might convert mine to a duallie, if not im just using the D60 out of it. But I have a few questions since im not too familiar with duallies. Is there anywhere I can buy some duallie fenders if I cant find them on a truck anywhere? Did many duallies come with posi rear ends? And can I put bigger tires on the stock duallie wheels?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The duallie fenders can be bought. They aint cheap though. $349 each seems to be the number I remember. Looking for a set also. As far as duallies coming with posi's, I'm sure its possible. Have to pull the cover or look at the codes in the glove box. If you go by the codes, might want to pull the cover anyway. Putting bigger tires on the stock dually rims can be done. They are a narrow rim so its hard to get to much tire stuffed on there. Many folks will run spacers between the rims to keep the tire from rubbing each other. Those are also fairly expensive.

What size wheels are they? 16's, 16.5's??

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Where can I buy those fenders? If I have to ill pay that much but that seems a little high to me. I have 35x12.50 tires on my truck now, given that they are 16 inch wheels on the duallie, will my tires fit on those wheels or are they too skinny? And where can I get those spacers for the wheels?

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Take a look at the dually bed of a dually pick up the next time you see one. There is much more to them than just bolting a set of fenders. There are quite a few little parts you'll need to collect. You're best bet is to buy a complete dually pick up bed, it'll be cheaper and much easier in the long run.

The dually axle for pick ups is the Dana 70HD, it can be ordered with a posi just like anything else.

The post above covers the wheels pretty well. Make sure you have 1" - 1 1/2" between those rear tires or you'll have some issues. I remember seeing an actual formula for tire size and spacing between the rear dually tires, but I can't remember where. Spacers or custom built wheels are an option too.

Here's afew duallies for you:

http://mannon.com/cars/index.htm

The crew cab is running stock wheels with a spacer in the rear. Not my favorite choice, I'll be switching to custon wheels eventually.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

All the duallies ive ever been able to look under (3) have had a 14 bolt rear end, I still havent seen one with a D70. I would just buy the fenders and parts from someone but I cant find a duallie with a fleetside bed anywhere, ive only seen 2 in my life and they were running trucks that I couldnt just get the fenders from. What all else is there besides the fenders that ill need? Also, those are some really beautiful trucks, ive never seen an old duallie in that good of shape as any of those 3. What size tires are on the red one and the white one? And theyre on stock wheels? So big tires will fit on the stock wheels? You just have to space them out in the back? What will happen if the wheels arent spaced away from eachother far enough?

6. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yes, Eric's amazing, huh? I still don't know how he manages that herd in San Francisco (highly populated area with no parking.) I have enough trouble out here in the sticks =))

The tires will rub, especially when loaded. Sidewalls are not meant to rub, so this is A Bad Thing (tm) :haha:

-- A

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I couldn't even tell you the names of the parts you'll need. You should be able to get an exploded view of the fender detail from the parts counter of a GM dealer. There are braces, covers and fillers. The bed is double wall construction. Along with finishing off the installation, these parts hold the inner and outter walls of the bed together after the walls are cut. I think you'd run into some problems at highway speed if you were missing some of these parts. You can see some pics. of what that cut should look like.

http://blog.mannon.com/archives/000019.html

Unlimited Fiberglass makes an aftermarket dually fender:

http://www.up22.com/chevytruck.htm#GM-201R/L

I have a pair sitting in my garage. They attach in a different manner than factory fenders and don't seem to require the same parts as the factory fenders. I never used them, so I can't say if they work or fit well, but that is another option.

As for the tires on my trucks. The brown (or red as you called it) truck has 15 x 36 tires. The springs were moved into the frame rails, the bed was tubbed, the E-brake cables reworked, the drums turned down and custom wheels built.

The black truck is running 33 x 12.50 tires. It has turned down drums (not as much) 4 bolts at the inner fenders were trimmed to clear the tires and custom wheels built.

The white crew cab was purchased as you see it. Those are 12 x 36 tires on stock rims at the back with a spacer. It's a tight squeeze over those rims and the tires hang past the fenders a lot. I think it might be over the legal width. I'm going to be changing that one to custom wheels as well.

Dremu's got it on the spacing of the rears. Rubbing rears is a no no.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

9. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Do you remember how exactly the fenders from Unlimited Fiberglass mount? I found thier site last night and assumed they mounted like the originials. So I could put my 35's on the dually wheels with no problem other than spacing the back ones apart? Can you elaborate any on the spacer for the rear wheels?

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I think they wanted you to drill through the wall of the bed. Then, you were to "glue" nuts to the inside of the new holes with Bondo. There is a lip on the inside of the fender where you can put a bolt through into the hole with the "Bondo nut".

You're gonna have to do some research on your own to see what will work in the back. I'd mount up one tire on a dually rim and start measuring. Figure out what you'll need for a spacer and start looking.
    Good Luck,

Eric M.

11. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

check these out

www.jcw.com

part#ajs786950xf for 8 lug applications $439.99

part# ajs786948af for half tons $399.99

fenders try these part# ajs787484wf $429.99 a pair

or ajs787485tfe $ 449.95

not sure whats different on the last 2 part #'s as they both say they cover chevys the 1st cover fullsize from 60-72 the 2nd say it fits full size chevy from 73-98...i reckon thats the difference in the dually fenders

they have the stuff to make a chevy luv or a small toyota or an s-10dodge d-50, ford ranger all the way up to 1 tons dually they sell the spacers and all actually i believe they are included in the price dually and the fender for a 2nd gen are only $225 a piece for a combined total of $449.99

so you can even make your 6 lug 12 bolt a dually if you wanted