Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting to a Dually?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me if Im wrong-

But is the wheels of a dually truck ofset just so, so that the spare would be usable on every axle?

Also, if you used a hub spacer on the front of a SRW truck, and then used a dually wheel on the front- Would that be effectively the same?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    But is the wheels of a dually truck ofset just so, so that the spare would be usable on every axle?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should be, yes. You'll note that the lugs on a dually front are right at or outside the outer edge of the tire; so yes, the wheels have hellish offset when compared to single-tire trucks.

You can get kits to do this aftermarket, however, and some of them are very JC-Whitney-esque and do weird things with spacers and god-only-knows-what. Haven't seen a dually /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif yet, thankfully, but I've seen several dually /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif's.

You'll also need to run fairly skinny tires to fit two, even in the extended fenders.

As for

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, if you used a hub spacer on the front of a SRW truck, and then used a dually wheel on the front- Would that be effectively the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the hub spacer made the track width on your front axle the same as a dually track width, you'd be fine. That's a hell of a spacer though -- hafta be like 4" thick or something.

-- A

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Need a set of dually axles and wheels? Let me know.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It would actually be closer to a 7" spacer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It would actually be closer to a 7" spacer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Waaaaaaaaaaa! Okay, so my math sucks... it was early in the morning. Still is, actually.

To the original poster: considering that very few people want dually axles, I would think you could find a set CHEAP. You could swap just the outers if you didn't want to do the whole axle, in front. In back I think it'd be easier to swap the whole thing.

-- A

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

YOu know how to tempt someone! tell me more. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif