Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting to a fuel cell - with TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Nov 19, 2004.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What do I need to do to put a fuel cell in my '89? Will the stock in-tank pump fit in the cell or will I need a different pump. What about the return lines?

Anyone do this?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ask Steve hes done it. He knows where to get an adapter for the top of the cell that allows the use of all the factory pieces.

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have been pondering this myself, since mine was not TBI to start, I am just doing the inline pump. I am been thinking about a fuel cell in order to get rid of the bad deprature angle caused by the gas tank.

Krennen

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Maybe Steve will see this and be so kind as to spill the beans...

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Departure angle? Oh your tank/skid plate hits. I thought you were talking about starving the motor from fuel...

I have seen that happen too many times.

I had to move my tank 'cause the rear Rockwell was gonna hit it. Those 63" rear springs moved the axle back about 6".

I have heard of people using a inline pump from a Mustang, but don't know any more than that. I think I saw a part number on Pirate somewhere.

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I have got everything for the TBI installed, just waiting to get some $$$ saved up for my new wiring harness and chip, that is about all I have left. I got tired of the carb after the last trip to Diz, spent more time trying to keep it running than wheeling. I am considering the fuel cell due to, as you said, dragging the tank. That is a very painful sound to hear your gas tank sliding off a rock /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

I am hoping on having all my winter upgrades done before the spring season starts, my tax refund is going towards my doubler adapter, locker for the 60 and crossover/hydro-assist. I can't wait to hit the rocks to see what a 465/203/205, over 100:1 crawl ratio, and fuel injection is like. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif.

Krennen