Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting to Disc Brakes on Front? Help?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joryyroj, Jul 29, 2003.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

I have not been able to find wheel studs long enough to hold on the front wheels for my 1970 blazer. Everyone is telling me to convert to Disc Brakes instead of Drums.

I was going to call around to some junk yards to find the parts I need to accomplish this, does anyone know what I will need? I am really not that mechanical but I am trying to learn with this blazer. This brake conversion may be a little out of my league. If anyone has any tips or parts list please let me know. I am starting from zero so any advice would be great.

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

The easiest way is to get a front axel from a '71 or '72. Sorry, don't know much else that can help. A good autoparts store (say away from Schucks, etc) might be able to help you find a longer wheel stud.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just pick up an "entire" axle from a '71 K10 or a K5. Disc brake's were standard on them. Also grab the master cylinder, and brake booster.

Then just swap the axle's. Pick up a set of new "U bolt's"
    and a set of brake hose's for the caliper's.

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I think the easiest way is to swap in a disc brake axle with the same gears as your current set up. Have you ben over to www.67-72chevytrucks.com yet. It's a pretty informative site for these trucks.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would sugest a 73-up axle to swap in. They came with larger (297) u-joints in them. Not the weak (260) ones that came in our trucks.

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but I thought I heard it was the smaller style until 77. Did I hear that wrong or am I just pulling facts out of my ... again?

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but I thought I heard it was the smaller style until 77. Did I hear that wrong or am I just pulling facts out of my ... again?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The change to larger U-joints was '73. '77 was the change to a larger wheel bearing and internal lockouts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

The easiest thing would be to swap in a '71 or later axle as mentioned already. But if you can get the parts (bearing hubs, rotors, calipers, caliper mounts, brakelines), you can put them on your current axle. You will have to do a good bit of grinding on the knuckles to get the calipers to move freely, but it's nothing that will compromise strength. The only thing I can't remember is if the spindles are different between drums and discs. I converted a '70 Dana 44 to discs and ran it for a long time until I got another Dana 44 with 4.10s for really cheap. Hope this helps.

Will

9. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

I swaped to disks on a 70 sub that I had and replaced the master cycl., proportioning valve, front brake line all the way from the pro-valve to the frame, It is a different diameter for discs and drums.I also found out that the hub from a drum will work for discs with a small amount of machine work, they are almost identical.I had a doner front end that I used the dust shields and caliper mounting plates from.Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.