Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting to full convertible

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Jan 30, 2004.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

ok, I have a 79 k5, that i would like to make into a full convertible. the floorpan and everything are still in great shape in mine, so I'd really like to keep it, rather than just trying to find one that's already full convertible, which are hard to come by around here, especially in good shape. I don't really know anything about doing that type of work myself, so I'd probably have to have it done by someone else...so I'm wondering how much something like that would cost, and where I would even go to have that done? I would like to be able to use a factory full hard top, or soft top. what would be the best way to go about this? i do plan to install a full cage too. what problems would i have with this conversion? thanks

2. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I dont know if the search feature is still down but I got a lot of info from it. My 75 has a saggy windshield b/c the rocker boxes (under the floor pans) were rotted out. Yours dosent have these rocker boxes. They are there to support the windshield frame instead of the roof( like on yours). What I have found is that the best way to support the windshield frame, whether you are cutting off the top, or your rockers went bad, is to install a roll cage (mine is from S&W racing +-$200) and weld the cage's down tubes to the windshild frame via tabs. Make sure your cage is tied into the floor or frame in a solid manner as well.

Mine is being done by an offroad fab shop in my area who deal with this sort of thing all the time. I pay him for his time. I think I am paying $28/hr. It should take about 10 hrs to install the rollcage and weld it to the windshield frame. It doesnt take long to hack off the roof and doors!

I would also go with a soft top (STC Fasttrack) and run a truck tailgate. It will save you lots of weight and hassels with trying to make everything fit perfectly.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've been quoted around $500 by a few places in the San Francisco area. This only included the grafting of a 73-75 windshield frame, chopping the doors, and patching the holes in the B-pillar from where the top was chopped. This didn't include painting, or reinforcing the cab to prevent sagging. So along with the $500 you will need to include the previously mentioned roll cage, the $400 in weatherstripping, the upper and lower doorcaps ($50 I think), a 73-75 top, and a 73-75 windshield frame (good luck!). For the top I would recommend a 75 top since it has the overlapping seams on the outside which makes it more durable. As you can see it's not as cheap as you might think. But I'd do it ... and am since I already have all the parts, just need to get around to it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

For me? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Thanks but I already have one. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

thanks beater, for the link...that might be just what I need...part of it anyway. I e-mailed the guy to see if he still has it. and thanks to you other guys for you info too...i would love to hear anything anyone else might have to add too?

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status