Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting To Gas

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bryanrash, Dec 15, 2004.

1. bryanrash

bryanrash Registered Member

I am thinking about buying a cucv b/c I like the heavy duty set up. I am concerned about the diesel engine because I will be using it in the sand and am thinking about swapping out the diesel for a big block or 350. Anybody have any idea of what all will need to be replaced and around how much the conversion would cost?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If youre looking at just wheeling in sand, I would keep the 6.2l and just tweak it a little, it can run up to 3600RPM which is not that bad, and there is a post here where a guy did hill climbs on sand in his 6.2 powered K5.
    If you want to do sand drags, then you want hi hi RPMs and then I would say go to a SBC not a big block.
    Ease and cost is relative and depends on what you start with but all the difference is a couple of wires and a donor truck could supply a donor wiring harness to make it even simpler.
    Cost could be as little as a couple of hundreds plus the engine all the way to a few thousands.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

That was my post, i was actually very impressed with how well my 6.2 did in the sand. Yes, it found the governor, but 3600 rpm was enough to pull every hill. It wont win any races, kinda like on pavement, but it gets the job done.

There are some pump modifications that will allow the motor to turn even more RPM, 4200 IIRC. If it was me, i would just slap a turbo on the 6.2, and run either 35's or 37's to offset the gearing, and go have some fun.

4. bryanrash

bryanrash Registered Member

Thanks

Thanks for the advice!