Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting to HEI Need Parts list

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jan 10, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ive had it with my points fouling out all the time and converting to HEI. I need a complete parts list and any info I can get on everything I need to do.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any pre-computer controlled HEI and the cap and rotor with the coil in it and a new set of wires or change the distributor ends on your existing wires. Make sure you have a full 12 volts to your coil and you're done.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Not much to it. Just like 4X4HIGH already listed. I'd just re-iterate checking the voltage to the coil. IIRC some points distributors had resistors to drop the voltage below 12V. But I could be getting that confused with Mopar stuff.:o

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Yeah my truck had a resistor on it that I installed to slow the burning up of the points. It stopped firing altogether last night and I had to be towed home so I got fed up with it and I put an HEI distributor in it today with a new cap, rotor and plug wires. Its running great so far, but my tach is acting funny. I havent tried to fix it yet but if anybody knows whats wrong with it it would probly help me fix it quicker. It reads pretty close at idle, but it reads very high while driving. It reads at about 4 or 5 thousand when its only running at about 3 thousand.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

on vehicles such as the 67-72 trucks the resistance is the primary 12v wire itself feeding the coil, however during cranking the coil gets full 12v