Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting to hydroboost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Dec 19, 2005.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

what parts from what models do i need to convert to hydroboost brakes?
    what should i expect to pay and is it worth it i have a 78 SWB 3in lift stock power brakes

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Do some searches, there is lots of info on this.
    Check the article in the tech section too..

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I believe one-ton trucks and diesels came with Hydroboost. I Bought my hydroboost unit from a member here who parted it off of a 1-ton with a 454, but then I had to get a pump, which I pulled from a 350 in a 1-ton, and when I needed new lines, I told the parts guy they were from an '85 diesel. I saw some different configurations of hydroboost setups at the junkyard, some pumps had two ports for return lines, one from the boost unit, one from the steering box, others had a single return line to the pump, with the return from the unit t-ing into the return from the steering box. I think if you get a complete setup, pump and boost unit from the same vehucle, you should be good to go. Get the lines too, even if you dont end up using them in favor of new ones, you can match the new ones to the old ones at the parts store to make sure you are getting the right ones. One thing to remember, is when you get the boost unit, get the rod/linkage that goes to the brake pedal, as I am pretty sure they are a different length than a typical vacuum boost unit has. I don't know if the master cylinder's are different, so you might want to grab that too.

4. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Like mofugly13 said, get all the components off of one truck and you will be fine. I swapped the entire system off of my donor K30 and am very pleased with the results. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, I changed the brake pedal as well because the connector pin was different, just a heads up to look for.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Hydro boost kicks ass. My roommate did it on his EB and used the factory pump, and just a t-fitting for the return lines from the booster and steering box. As far as I know the rod that connects the booster to the pedal can only be disconnected at the pedal, but I'm not sure. You will probably have to press a coule of studs out of the hydroboost unit, but thats no big deal at all.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The Hydroboost unit I got had a much larger eye on the pedal hookup end than my vac. rod..
    I cut them both apart and welded my eye onto the hydroboost's rod.

7. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

Personally I wouldn`t bother with the swap if your truck is close to stock or even if it was highly modified for that matter. My 83 k30 came stock with the hydroboost system and it was terrible in my opinion.If you blow a powersteering hose you lose your powersteering and powerbrakes!Makes it tough to nurse the truck home.I had alot of problems with mine and if I ever get another truck with hydroboost I would spend my money to convert it to regular power brakes.
    If you are looking for more stopping power why not consider slotted and drilled rotors ,upgrading your calipers or better pads/shoes or possibly a rear disc brake conversion.Just my thoughts on the matter.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

You are the first person I've ever heard of say anything bad about hydroboost. While what you say is right, a hose has to be in bad shape to fail like that and if thats the case, you had it coming. Hydroboost is 100% worth it from mild to wild trucks. All those upgrades you mentioned are high $$ compared to this simple swap.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wow. I have nothing bad to say about hydroboost.

Even when I had the hydroboost unit start leaking, it never left me stranded. Even when the rebuilt unit, puked its balls out, it still didnt leave me stranded. Albiet, the pump was complaining, but thats no big deal.

The breaking power different goes from trying to tame a 6000lb rodeo bull, where panic braking makes you wonder if your gonna make it, to firm, complete, controlled stops.

I'd gladly take a hydroost equipped vehicle.

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have everything for hydro boost,all pulled and all hoses still connected,

however, I dont have a good luck with shipping and my past does not make me a pefered seller,

but just a heads up.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

alright least your being up front about it. thats good

how much does hydroboost really do for you?

12. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

i might be interested but what ddo you mean you have bad luck with shipping

13. supersize75k5

im just trying to be upfront, I just have had issues with procrastinating

14. supersize75k5

to be honest ive never run it, all the trucks I've come across with it loose the dana 60..and the rest is down hill:D

15. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

If you go with a big cam or a real cold climate hydroboost has its advantages. I got a 89 gas 4x4 with vacume type and they work great. I have a 88 diesel 4x4 with hydroboost. They work great also. I would probly keep what truck came with. I've heard that you need to change proportioning valve also.

16. 74BBPowerHouse

74BBPowerHouse Registered Member

I also do not have anything bad to say about hydroboost. I love it. im ready to take my hydroboost off my diesel and put it on my 74. Its got a big cam even though the stahl converter helps.... it needs more braking power. I love it!

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice dredge!!!

Rene

18. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

ttt...good thread, why start a new one?