Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting to power windows?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, May 5, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all, i just bought an 89 crewcab. It has roll up windows and would like to convert them to power. What will i need to do this. I have seen kits but they are quite a bit of money. thanks for any info

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think the easiest way is donor doors. Pics man we want pics. Grey or blue interior? wanna trade?:D

3. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Lol it's the same color . Ill post some pics,Your stuff went out today

4. MTBLAZER89

****in Maroon:mad: If you only needed two i would trade you my K5 doors, but I want to keep the power stuff in the CC:laugh:

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

some pics. 89 CC 6.5 td th400 205 d60 and 14b ff. Power nothing at the moment:D

truck right side.jpg

dogsandtrucks 094.jpg

truck front.jpg

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

The biggest PITA part of this can be running the wiring... my brother did it on his 85... whatever you do, dont cut the wiring harness ANYWHERE near the door hinge... its a royal PITA to run it, only to find a connection has slipped and you need to pull it apart

easiest thing to do is to pull doors (or just power guts) from a truck/sub, and then grab the under-dash harness as well. Probably will want to think about new window motors $50ish (NAPA), as they tend to crap out.

Door panels can either be expensive, or annoying and a lot of work. Can go the donor truck route, find a good set, clean, then use vinyl dye to color match, or can buy them new for $$$ (lmctruck or chevyduty)

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

cool thanks for the info

8. MTBLAZER89

How does the 6.5 compare to the 454? Was 6.5 optional in these trucks, or was it just the 6.2 and somebody did a swap.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Dude that is way badass, anymore pics? I want to see what red looks like, I have been seriously thinking about red, that or a military olive drab green. Either one will look sick with the black rims Ill be running.

10. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

What you do is you email me at papasmurf1990@hardcore4x4.com and I sell you a complete harness from my 1989 suburban that had all power windows and locks. You get the harness you need, the solenoids so you can go with power locks, the motors and sissor action, tracks etc. I have some a+ condidion blue door trim, looks practically new. I was getting very very good money for the trim out of this truck when I was parting it out on eBay, it's in really good shape. I'm not a memeber so I can't see what color your truck is and if these would work for you, though.:whistle:

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

the engine is a swap. It came out of a 94. Personally i like the 454 more but the 6.5 with 12#s of boost does pretty good. Also it gets much better mileage and no smog:D Sending you an email hawkeye