Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converting to R134-A?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cornfed-90K5, May 25, 2001.

1. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I am considering converting my A/C to R134-A, but I am concerned because some of my friends have told me that I will probably end up burning up my compressor. I have heard that this because it doesn't have enough lubrication like the R12. Please if anyone has done the conversion let me know. I have priced what it will cost for R12 and I really don't want to spend 175.00, but I also don't want to roast all summer. Any help will be appreciated.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    TBI 350, 4L60-E, NV241,
    6" lift, 35" Pro Comp M/T,
    4.56's and Auburns front and rear

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I converted my 85 to R134A last August after blowing a hose, and have had no troubles with it. I've run several fairly long road trips across Arizona and Nevada with it, and there's been no inkling of troubles.

I have voluntarily axed "Pancho" in a bandwidth conservation effort [​IMG]

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

This is my third summer on 134a with no troubles . The main thing that blows out people's compressors with 134a is overcharging.It is not as forgiving as freon. You should not charge the system or add refrigerant with out using a guage to tell when it is properly charged. You can buy a R134a change over kit that has a simple guage included in it. It costs a little more than the cheapo kit but it is worth the extra money to have the guage in case you need to add some refrigerant later.
    You should also put in a new drier. Its that thing that looks like a big silver beer can under the hood.
    Or just have the changeover done by a good AC shop. They usually charge around $250. for it and you should get a warentee on their work

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can have it done at a Wal-Mart for like $150 with the stuff (R134A) put in it. I think it takes 4-5 pound to fill it. I did mine myself. So if I can do it...then trust me, you can. I got the kit at Wal-Mart. You can get them too from http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine was done by a local service station for $175. They were even nice enough to put a sight glass on it for me.

I have voluntarily axed "Pancho" in a bandwidth conservation effort [​IMG]

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have converted 3 of them in the last 2 years and not had a problem. It is easy to do and very cheap to do.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

We did the Burben last year and I replaced almost everything. But it needed it weather I used 134 or r12 anyway. They make some easy kits for doing the change over. However, in my opinon, you should leave it as a r12 system. The r134 sucks compared to the r12. It does not blow nearly as cold. If I had the money to it, I would probably have it changed back to r12. I can tell you, I will not be changing the Blazer over. Just my $.02.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

8. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

Did mine jus last week, works jus fine. Blows about 43 deg air out the vents.. However I did add a condensor fan to help lower the head pressure. I think that thats the trick to makeing the compressor live as well as helping the discharge temps a little colder.. Good luck... Bye the way r12 is getting more and more costly as the domestic supplys dry up.. 32 dollors per can. 950.00 per 30lbs jug...

1985 Blazer, 305 soon to be a TBI 350, 700r4, msd ign, 3.43s, headers, 31x10.50x15s