Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting wood bed to metal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cj7jeep81, Feb 21, 2003.

1. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

The bed in my '78 stepside is pretty much all rotted out. Most of the boards are either broken or rotten. The previous owner put a thin sheet of metal over top of it, but I would like to fix it. I don't want to redo the wood because of the cost and I plan to use this truck to haul stuf and don't want to worry about ruining the wood.
    Do any companies sell kits to do this, or will I have to make this up?
    Has anyone else done this?

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did my stepside with aluminum dimond plate epoxyed On top of a piece of 1/2" marine grade plywood I had it spray in bedlinered and then I drilled all the stock holes in it and bolted it in place then Used the stock hardware and bed strips on top of that The dimond plate was not polished and I got it for free I wish I had pic's it came out pretty nice I think a 4x8 sheet of polished dimond plate is 300.00 dollors hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I put expanded metal down in the bed of my step side thing.Its cheap ,I think I paid $35 for a 4x8" sheet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif