Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting your Blazer into a P/U (instructions)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjbear, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I found something intresting today. For those wanting to convert their K5s to pick-up cabs. http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec62.pdf It contains a description at the begining, then pics and finially a measured drawing. Kind of like The New Yankee Workshop for K5s. The goverment likes these kind ot projects for some reason. Ever seen the steel tops on an M715? Same knind of deal.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Isn't there already an aftermarket conversion for doing this?

Also, didn't anyone involved with this project think to swap the heavy K5 tailgate with a pick-up gate to gain a little more potential payload?

Rene

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good plan for the military. I just don't see why anyone else would want to do such a thing to a blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    What's the point? If you want a pickup.....then get a pickup!

One of the best things about K5's is the versatility of them. With no modifications you can have a "cargo hauler" or a "people hauler". If all you are worried about is hauling cargo then go buy yourself a truck and save the trouble.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a good plan for the military. I just don't see why anyone else would want to do such a thing to a blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    What's the point? If you want a pickup.....then get a pickup!

One of the best things about K5's is the versatility of them. With no modifications you can have a "cargo hauler" or a "people hauler". If all you are worried about is hauling cargo then go buy yourself a truck and save the trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you but many don't, they like the short wheel base of the K5 but want a closed cab and a bed so they do it.
    A few in my club have done that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    FRIZZERFLY is the first I think.
    he used a WILLYS bed for the small size

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't do it on a permanent basis but it might be kinda cool to have an extra top cut down like that. Switch them out if you get tired of things the way they are. Just use all weather stripping instead of the silicone caulk and take your time to make it fit really good. I would also make the extension out of aluminum for weight savings. Wonder what it would look like if you left 2' on insted of the 6" or so they went with. Kinda like an extended cab?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't do it on a permanent basis but it might be kinda cool to have an extra top cut down like that. Switch them out if you get tired of things the way they are. Just use all weather stripping instead of the silicone caulk and take your time to make it fit really good. I would also make the extension out of aluminum for weight savings. Wonder what it would look like if you left 2' on insted of the 6" or so they went with. Kinda like an extended cab?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am working on exactly that.
    I cut the rear end of a cab and I am working on the details to make it a bolt on with weather strippings.
    I didn't even go through the trouble to make the cab, just had a pickup cab laying around so I choped the rear off.
    Will post up as soon as I get time to finish it, maybe in my next lifetime /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Too many projects, so little time. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you but many don't, they like the short wheel base of the K5

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine and good but if I remember right the difference between a K5 and a SWB pickup wheelbase is only about 6 inches.

I could maybe see making a lightweight (easily removable) half cab setup, but it still seems like more trouble than it's worth. Besides they already have soft tops that do basically the same thing.

I guess my opinion is moot anyway.... I couldn't do it if I wanted to.... My rollcage just won't work with a half cab type setup.

To each their own I suppose /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I know someone whos done it.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    only about 6 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do civilians spend hundreds for a suspension that only adds about 6 inches

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not 6 inches anyway. It's 9-10" I believe. What's you guy's stock wheelbase? A shortbed truck is 117.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stock K5 wheelbase is 106.5".

I think what was referred to is the bed size, the K5 bed length which is pretty close to 6 feet.

Rene

12. bigjbear

I don't want a P/U. But in the winter I don't want to heat the back of the K5 either. The kids don't come on cold weather wheeling trips so the back has no need to be heated. This setup is too permanant for me, but seals much better than my fabric rear cab wall. The main reason I posted it was for that great blueprint at the end.

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't want a P/U. But in the winter I don't want to heat the back of the K5 either.

[/ QUOTE ]

coat

14. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thats what my "truck Blazer" is... someone took a '76 K5, and a truck cab, and molded the two together to create a short-shortbed. I had wanted an actual K5, but couldn't pass it up for $600 complete and running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Looking at those instructions again and I think it would be cool to make the extension and instead of using sheet metal for the rear wall, use Plexiglass or lexan, something like that. Attach it with bolts and seal it up but your visibility would be awesome. Dump the tailgate and your golden. You could even use it with a roll cage. I've seen cages go through the back of pickup cabs. I think they just make the hole on the large side and use some kind of boot to seal it up. I think I just found a spring project!!

OH, yeah it would still keep some heat in.

16. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You could always spend $40,000 and buy an Avalanche /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats what my "truck Blazer" is... someone took a '76 K5, and a truck cab, and molded the two together to create a short-shortbed. I had wanted an actual K5, but couldn't pass it up for $600 complete and running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too permanent for my taste. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

19. bigjbear

That's cool. But what the hell is aircraft grade Lexan?

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's cool. But what the hell is aircraft grade Lexan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it should be the speed glass, that is what they use in Off road race trucks, it's basically a lexan window with the surface treated for scratch proof surface.
    It's not cheap though.