Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

convery to TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Aug 11, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

could i do this with my 86 350? what all is involved in something like this? i dont plan on doing this anytime soon as i am happy with my carb and it works fine for the most part..(cold mournings are anoying sometimes but im used to working the gas right)but i was thinking it would be something neat to do some time down the road.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just keep your eyes peeled for a (hopefully running) COMPLETE TBI truck, preferably a truck in your case.

What you want to be able to do is get everything off a running truck, and drop it onto yours. No cutting corners, no trying to save money, no hunting for missing pieces.

Since you are in no hurry, this should be fairly easy for you to do. IMO the best thing to do would be to replace the fuse panel with a donor as well, since the wiring is tied into it for TBI in a couple of places.

Trying to put together a setup from multiple donors is usually costly and painful, as one part will invariably impossible to find, and mixing and matching different year, or unknown condition parts, will cause numerous problems.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Based on the difficulty that you had just troubleshooting why your radio wasn't getting power, I'm gonna suggest that you farm this swap out to someone that understands electricity. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Otherwise, I forsee yet another lawn ornament parked at your house. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Get the choke adjusted on your carb and it will work fine in cold weather. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the UPS man just droped a setup off for me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...just need to clean up thing and then try to figure out what the hell all these wires are for...it has the full wire loom with all the ends.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif