Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Convince me not to sell the K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Mar 9, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

It all in the topic. The main reason is would sell it is to get something that gets better mileage, but convince me otherwise...

2. Speed-demon

Speed-demon Registered Member

If your not allready conviced,....Give it to somebody that deserves it!

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Depending on your tuning, you can get the same mileage from an '84 K5 as a '97 Tahoe. Same as minivans. I'm shopping for a new car for my wife, and I'm seeing the mileage on these vehicles is not as great as I thought. The price offset of slightly better mileage including a monthly payment versus slightly worse mileage including no payment...

Why not keep the K5 and buy an econobox, though? Drive each as appropriate.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Chicks dig Rigs

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What about that "4" lift and 350 coming soon" in your signature?
    You better get rid of that too dude.

How do you know that the next owner isn't gonna wrap it around a pole or a tree?

Hey... I'll tell ya what. I'll give you $200 for your blazer, and fix it up Reeeaallly nice. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Then I'll post all of the pictures of the process and once its done.. to make you jelous and wishing that you still had it.

Don't do it dude. You'll be kicking yourself in the @ss for the rest of your life... every time you see a blazer you'll be like "damn I wish i still had mine."

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Everytime I come to this board I start having doubts about selling it

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I'd rather park my K5 for years and ride the bus than sell it. If you sell it you'll be sorry. Think about it this way how much time energy and money do you have in your rig? Will you get anywhere near what you have into it if you sell it? Probably not. Then when you have to have another one you'll have to start over.

8. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

1. You will regret it.
    2. Go price a 4x4 ATV, then reconcider.
    3. If it is the wife you are worried about, she will just find another thing to complain about.
    4. If you truly want to sell it, there are plenty of people out there who are willing to give it a good home.

Tom

9. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

how are you gonna pull out your neighbors stuck ford? with your honda that gets good gas milage?

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Come to this board more often !.....'nuff said !

11. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Heras a reply from a guy who was recently in the same boat. I wanted something to get better milage becuase I drive a lot. I started pricing newer cars. But then I realized that i was trading in bad mialge for god milage a a big car payment. Thats dumb. plus, I would still want a 4 wheel drive for when it snowed, so i would trade the bad milage in for slightly beter but still bad milage and a big payment. plus I realized something else. I'm 18, almost 19. So I have a lot of driving years ahead of me (Lord Willing). Truthfully, i beter keep this truck as long as I can becuase I will probably never own a real truck again, they just dont make them like they use to anymore. everytime a truck gets redisgned, it becomes more IFS'ish and car like. I was havng a few problems with the truck, but have ironed most of them out now. And i dont plan on selling anytime soon at all. Plan to keep it for years to come. A few more resons for you. EVERYONE I have ever talked to who use to own one regrets selling it and makes me an ofer on it. Secondly, once you put some money into them, you wont ever get it back out by selling it, only by enjoying it. My new plan is to save for a while and bye a used honda and drive it to work and such...
    Think it over.
    ike

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

this might have been said already...
    you could not buy another 4wheeler that is as big, v8powered, and as strong as a k5 for less than 30,000 dollars. Plus, you would be scared to park it at the mall.

13. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Like everybody else is sayin......gas milage vs big payment.....I don't even think a Blazer with a 502 and 39s can even drink an extra 500 bucks a month on gas!! Also don't forget, higher insurance premiums, and personal property tax!! Plus, if ya want to beef it up, its gonna cost more and void that warranty!! So whats the point?

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

just an FYI- GM does not void warranties when you lift or "modify" certain aspects of your rig.... when we were going to lift the Z-71, that was my concern, I talked to our service manager and he said, as long as its a "reputable lift" and was installed "correctly" they wouldn't void anything... I didn't believe him so I called the 800 GM Cares number- said the same thing, 1 more call just to be double sure- I called Rancho and asked them.. would it void my warranty. NOPE was the answer. Its the same thing with the performance chips, (for new rigs), large tires, propane guys have on their Duramax's... etc... as long as its installed correctly, and is not a botched together kit- you are still covered.

I still can't imagine anyone getting rid of their K5 because of gas mileage- our 99 was getting the same mileage as most of you guys get with your K5's, (mines not driveable yet, so I don't know)...

15. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Well, unfortunetly I'm going to have to sell it. When I get something else it will be with the money from the Blazer and money I've saved up so I won't have a car payment. I need something dependable to get me to school in back without having to put alot of money into. I can't buy a second car beacause that is too much insurance to pay. Hopefully one day I will be able to get another Blazer, maybe a military one. Well, the good thing is that I really don't have any money into it yet, execpt the stereo. I'll still keep coming to the board though, I've learned alot by reading them.

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

AAAAWWWWW MAN!
    Come on dude.
    I'm 19 years old also.
    My Blazer is my daily driver to school and work.
    I wouldn't have it any other way. Its always an adventure like when it breaks down on the way to work... and you have to pull over and fix it right then and there.... then you fix it with whatever you got and still get to work on time./forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Gas, insurance, registration....
    What you'll be saving in gas you'll have to pay in insurance and registration.
    My $41 a year registration really kills me. Couldn't imagine having a 400+ a year registration.
    Instead of making a 300 or 400 a month payment also, i look at it that i probally don't have to spend 300 to 400 a month on fixing my truck.
    It hasn't broken on me for like a year, so all that money i "saved" could go to mods for the beast.

And who really cares about gas mileage? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    My daily driven blazer gets about 6-8 MPG around town and 13 on the freeway...
    And my new vehicle i bought ('67 camaro Big Block) gets like 3 MPG around town if i'm lucky. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If it ever came down to it... I'd keep both toys and skateboard to school and work, or take the bus... or buy an $800 VW bug or Honda or something.

YOU"LL REGRET IT DUDE.

17. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

I hate to say it too, but I drive a Nissan Stanza 10 months of the year. Stop the insurance on it for July and August, and put it on my Blazer. I am only 18, can only afford to pay insurance for 1 vehicle. I wish I could drive my Blazer 24/7, but being a poor college student I can't. $180/month insurance is too much already.

But back to the point, DON'T SELL IT. Park it, if need be, park it for years. I have a Trans Am I bought when I was 16, and it has sat for 2.5 years, I can't bear to sell it. So it sits, for free. Just park it and ride the bus.

18. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Consider what my freind is going through. He has an izuzu rodeo that recently had a drive train problem. At first they said the clutch went out $500 to fix it then they found a problem with the tranfercase and tranmission. He is now looking at a $2500 bill to fix it. Just recently he payed $300 to put a started in it! He is by no means a mechanic but if he owned a blazer he damn sure could have installed a started himself for next to nothing. I am not saying you will have problems with your next ride but if you do and its a newer vehicle be prepared to shell out the cash. He owns a 55 chevy belair in excellent shape but needs a little work that he is considering fixing up to use as his daily driver. $2500 is a lot of gas

19. schlechto

schlechto Registered Member

Just trade it for a diesel one then you will get 20 mpg.

20. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

you can sell your blazer to some luckey kid who will tank you till the he dies or he wrecks it? or you can put up 35000 to 40000 g'ss for a new truck but you better have a laptop and a masters in mechanical engineering to fix it or have deep pockets? i'd rther havemy jimmy shortened than sell my jimmy?