Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cookin' with the Fatman 10/29/2004 Ham and Bean soup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Cookin\' with the Fatman 10/29/2004 Ham and Bean soup

Well, it's been awhile sense the old Fatman has had some home made Ham and Bean soup. You'll need 2 bags of large lima beans, 1 large Onion, Celarey, and Ham ofcorse. Being that I'm lazy, I'm doing this all up in the crockpot once again. (Bet ya didn't see that one comming, LOL) Pretty simple, soak the beans over night, chop eveything else up, put everything in the crockpot, add water and stir it all up. I added some All Seasoning, salt, and lemon pepper. Set your crockpot on low and forget about it till the house smells like Ham and bean soup. Bake some cornbread and enjoy.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Cookin\' with the Fatman 10/29/2004 Ham and Bean soup

damn you, I'm hungry and now I want corn bread!

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

That sound good. But need to use other beans other than lima due to the wife dont like them /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I made a casorle in the crock pot tonight, potatoes, carrots, peas, onions (forget celery) hamburger, and BBQ sauce /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

whats cornbread?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    whats cornbread?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're adorable!

It's a kind of sweet bread with corn type stuff in it. Imagine banana bread, but.... with corn....... and such

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ummmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just finished trimming out a brisket, going on the smoker shortly for a "12 hour tour"

I'll be sitting on the couch stuffing my face all day tomorrow.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

aaah! american food is confusing! Whats a brisket? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    aaah! american food is confusing! Whats a brisket? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a big cut of beef with a lot of fat, I think it comes off the shoulder, but I'm not sure. You have to cook the hell out of it real slow and low to make it right, I usually do about 12 hours on the smoker with peach wood. And rub the hell out of it with spices too. I can't even lift it off the grill with a fork when done, it just falls apart.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dood you don't know what corn bread is??????
    if its made good you'll like it.
    next time your out go to montanas ( the restrant not the state) they gots good corn bread!

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

we just had that Wed night /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Not lima beans though... ham/pinto beans and corn bread

Having left over corn bread and potatoe soup with cheese and bacon tonight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dood you don't know what corn bread is??????
    if its made good you'll like it.
    next time your out go to montanas ( the restrant not the state) they gots good corn bread!

[/ QUOTE ]

We donn't have a Montanas in town, and I have never heard of it anywhere near me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Anyone have a good recipe for me to try? What do people usually eat corn bread with?

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a big cut of beef with a lot of fat, I think it comes off the shoulder, but I'm not sure. You have to cook the hell out of it real slow and low to make it right, I usually do about 12 hours on the smoker with peach wood. And rub the hell out of it with spices too. I can't even lift it off the grill with a fork when done, it just falls apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaaaah my mouth is watering! That sounds really good. I have a small smoker, and I probably can buy peach wood... thats all I need (besides the meat) to make that? That sounds really good, I love meat that just falls apart like that... tender /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif What kind of spices do you use?

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

get a couple boxes of corn bread mix, and mix it up like they say on the box. Add 1 egg (beat into mix), chuck of cream cheese (melted beat into mix) and part of a can of cream corn (stir in) then pour into a large baking pan bake in the oven as per box directions /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I usually rub it down with a dry spice mix of cayenne, basil, garlic, salt, black pepper, onion flakes, season salt, paprika, and a little chili powder. Then while it's cooking mop (baste) it with a mix of peach nectar, apple cider vinegar, tabasco, garlic, and olive oil with some red pepper flakes thrown if for good measure.

God this is the worst part, I'm dying for it and I can't have it til tomorrow.

You should be able to cook one a little smoker, I'm guessing you mean one of those cylinder shaped upright ones. Just make sure the fire is in the very bottom pan, well away from the meat, you don't want to char it. Also, don't use straight wood, it'll turn it real black, you've gotta mix it with chracoal. (you could even cheat and smoke the hell out of it for 5 or so hours and then wrap it tight in foil and put it in the oven @ 200 all night)

As far as the corn bread, amen on what jlaughner said but throw in some finely diced jalapenos with that cheese. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Nothing like some spicy cheesy corn bread with some chili or beans that cooked all day.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my smoker is retangular. I forget what the brand is though.

I'm saving this thread, I want to make that!! Thanks!
    Do you know how much approx. of all those spices and baste you put on? Thanks! I'm hungry!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

As far as the dry, just enough to cover it all, usually about a 1/2 cup total, pretty much equal parts (be careful w/ the cayenne) and I make enough liquid for about 2 cups, and use a little mini mop every 30 min., you can use a spoon or brush though.

If you have a rectangular smoker, just make sure the fire is off to one side or in like a ring surrounding the meat, no direct heat.

Good luck man, you can PM me if you ever decide to try it, it can be intimidating to cook something for that long the first time.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll need 2 bags of large lima beans, 1 large Onion, Celarey, and Ham ofcorse.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try a little diced carrot with that Paul. I use navy beans Myself but the lima beans are good also. Now My favorit is pinto beans with smoked hamhocks corn bread and fried potatos, now that is the chit /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You'll need 2 bags of large lima beans, 1 large Onion, Celarey, and Ham ofcorse.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try a little diced carrot with that Paul. I use navy beans Myself but the lima beans are good also. Now My favorit is pinto beans with smoked hamhocks corn bread and fried potatos, now that is the chit /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I usely don't put carrot in my Ham and Bean soup. I've used different types of beans, but I had the large lima beans in the cubbard, so thought I'd just use them.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as the dry, just enough to cover it all, usually about a 1/2 cup total, pretty much equal parts (be careful w/ the cayenne) and I make enough liquid for about 2 cups, and use a little mini mop every 30 min., you can use a spoon or brush though.

If you have a rectangular smoker, just make sure the fire is off to one side or in like a ring surrounding the meat, no direct heat.

Good luck man, you can PM me if you ever decide to try it, it can be intimidating to cook something for that long the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter what the temperature is outside when smoking food?? Right now it's usually around 30*F during the day, and just abov 20*F at night.

Thanks, when I try it I will PM you to ask question if need be. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

No outside temp doesn't matter, it just makes it harder to maintain your temp inside the smoker. The smoker temp should stay around 225-250. The colder it is outside the more charcoal/wood you'll need.

Good Luck!

By the way, just had my 3rd plate. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif