Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cool air intake....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 8, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

from the factory, my 85 has a cool air intake hose attaching point (dont know what else to call it!) behind the grill on each side of the radiator. is there any benefit to be had from taking advantage of this? seems pretty simple to add some large hose there so the engine can breathe in the cooler air. question is, does it help any? Obviously if you plan on fording through water, a big intake up front would be bad... but for on-road or non-watercrossing type offroad stuff would it be beneficial? My q-jet has always run a lil rich, so I dont think a lil more air would be a problem... what do you guys think?

J

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If i understand what you are explaining it would probably be about the coldest charge you could get. CAn see any real issue for street driving but for mudding it doesnt sound like a great idea.

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

It's not a bad idea for the induction like that, but the problem is the stock air cleaner housing is so restricive in the area where the horn connects to that plastic pipe that it hurts performance. I took all that off my '91 and replaced it with a 14" open element and it works much better.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Made a huge difference in my 75. My 75 had a very restrictive air cleaner with no snorkle. Flipped the lid and that helped some but in hot weather I was having detonation problems even with the timming retarted back to 2 deg BTDC. I came across a air cleaner off a 85 like the one on my 79 and big difference. Running back a 8degrees like it should be and on all bu the hottest day's my detonation problem has gone away. My carb runs a little on the lean side top end.
    For water crossings I just pull the snokle off the core suport side and bend it back behind the battery so it's pointing at the fender. Never had a problem with water (see picture in avitar /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )