Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cool Cage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Apr 19, 2005.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I see all the discussion on where to tie the cage into. I have an idea to build a cage that will replace the fiberglass top. Now stop me if someone has already done this, but I think it would be cool to build a full length cage that tied into the mounting holes for the front of the halfcab on the newer blazers. and then rest on the bed rails going all the way back to the tail gate. In addition you could skin the top with sheetmetal (and maybe a roof rack) And have roll down sides to keep the rain out. It would even be pretty easy to extend support through the body to the frame. Done right it would fallow the body perfectly.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Why put sheet metal on top?? Build it like a honeycomb on top, throw your fabric over it, cut holes in fabric for mounting brackets, sew edges of cuts so it doesn't tear, mount your gear rack to make sure everything fits, remove rack, place fabric, secure to cage and body, reatach rack with ties for rolling up sides, and be done with it. =)

120 feet of tubing should work well... and boat top fabric... I think I just saved myself money on a soft top since I was going to do the cage anyway. =)

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Dude, are you stealing my idea? .....Well at least let me see pics when its done. Might have you build me one too

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Not stealing... just saw perfect cage to do it to, and brought the two ideas together... I need money for tube and a welder. =)

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Its been done. I forget who has done it but there are pictures of it here somewhere. Its even made a few shots in the magazines. As I recall it was sort of a tan color.

The tube came right out of the top of the bed rails. basicly folowed the shape of the hard top. It had a bikin top as I reca but didn't bother with side windows.

Honestly on my old 75 I just ran a STC in Safari mode all summer and left the windows home. No carpet has its advantages. The rear seats sit inboard enough that as long as its not a sideways rain the rear seat riders stay dry. Windows up front if you were moving you were dry. I dug it big time. My new rig will be loosing a hard top and carpet as soon as I get a lock box for the back. :grin: