Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cool Camper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

We have a camper now and I thought some of you might like it! I think we have about $200 into the purchase, fixing up and furnishings. Last night was the first trip in it. Flat out beats tent camping /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Trevor even had the opportunity to put the K30 in 4 wheel drive to get back in the woods for a site.

[​IMG]

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hi newbie /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sweet, that will be nice for hunting trips too. Gets Cold in a tent in October /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Nice, I like it!

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Looks pretty sweet. I allways wanted to get one of those for my pickup but i dont have it any more /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif oh well. I'll just start savin my pennys and buy a trailer to tow behind the burb! Some people say that a camper ruins an out door experence. To them i say try going hunting in out in eastern oregon in a tent where you wake up and its 2 below zero. Then youll understand.

6. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

It's great for the family. What's best is when you pull up, camp is set! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif , when it rains, your gear stays dry, and the buddies that take forever to get loaded for the hunt, you have them bring it over the weekend before. You'll definitely be able to go fishing more /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

200 bucks, good score Andrea.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice!! I have been thinking of getting a slide in camper,and selling my old 81 G10 van--I have looked at a few advetised for 300 in local papers,they looked like they were salvaged from the landfill--another at a yard sale I checked out was 400,and it was all water stained and smelled like vomit--passed on that one too--I did see a winnebago travel trailer saturday(*I thought they only made motor homes!)that I might check out--I'm not too keen about towing,but at least you can use the tow vehicle after parking the trailer.I wish there was an easier way to remove the slide in camper at the campsite,so your truck could be used for sightseeing without having to bring the camper everywhere--its nice not to have to register it(slide in camper),its a lot of money to keep another whole vehicle running and registered and insured for only a few weeks of use(like my van,plus its not a 4x4).Looks like you got a good deal--wish I could find a good one that cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

there was such an option- I forgot who makes it- It had legs that extended down that could support itself. In the ad, they designed it to be "quick releasE" so that a single person could setup and remove it- just pull the pins, use the included lift jacks on all 4 corners, and then drive forward. It was designed almost more for consistant uptime, such as for a fleet that has specialized tools and equipment, and the truck needed servicing. Cool idea, too bad it was mega bucks.

Im sure you can probably design any camper to have similiar features, but it would require the flooring and outside structure to be strong enough to be self supporting.

I would love one too, except also for that "difficulty of removal" thing.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought about putting a slide in camper on my utility trailer,and towing it--but then you need plates for a camper(they wont let you use trailer plates on it if it has a camper on it!).I saw the device you mentioned in an old off-road book--looked like a good idea,but it is expensive--and I wonder how steady it is with a few people moving around it it--suprised they havent invented something similar yet.Maybe not enough demand for it?.If I had a bed like a ramp truck,I could tilt/slide it off at the campsite,then winch it back on when its time to leave--HMMMM-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I did a little bit more searching. THe idea isnt new, been out since the mid 70's. they used to be "hand cranked" back then. THe new ones use electric- Press a button and all 4 legs come down. They do sell the legs seperately- So it all depends on how good you are at trussing the unit up.

I dont think in stock form most of the slide in's are made to support weight without the acutal pickup bed under neath it. Im sure you can fix that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you look closely the stuff sticking out from the sides those are the jacks you were taliking about. I don't remember ever seeing my dad pull the camper out while camping. The other family we regulary went w/ did it once that I remember. They needed to go to town for something. Back then (late '70s) our wheeling was done on dirtbikes & a CJ5. I remember my us kids and my dad being inside while dad worked on the camper. So it had to be reasonably stable. I also remember it being lowered after he would drive out from under it after we got home to help w/ the stability. Of course this was all 25 yrs ago so YMMV.
    [​IMG]