Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cool Can

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Sep 22, 2004.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

So after searching for a few days I wasn’t able to find any information on CK5 and very little on the web. In fact, the only place I’ve been able to locate one for purchase is thru Summit. While I have never run one myself, it appears to be a good idea so I thought I would get some input for everyone. With the extreme under hood temps here in AZ, it sounds like a pretty positive idea to me.

Just so we’re all on the same page, my understanding of a cool can is: an insulated “cooler” (12”OD) with coiled fuel line inside. Fuel enters at the top and exits the bottom. Simply add ice and reduce fuel temps substantially, introducing “Cold” fuel to the motor. Obviously, it would only be iced while out on the trail.

Would/could this cause a “rich” or “lean” condition due to the lowered fuel temps? Could the temp difference be detrimental to the motor? Is this an “Old racers theory”?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Andrew

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Ahh, run EFI and forget about it... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You'll want to go FI anyway. Trust me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. teamhickman

[ QUOTE ]
    Ahh, run EFI and forget about it... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You'll want to go FI anyway. Trust me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely….I hope to end up with FI but this should work regardless of carb or EFI. I’m just curious to see if there’s any real advantage to lowering fuel temps. Is the effort worth the return?

Andrew

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only reason I would see to run one is if you run a carb to help it keep from vapor locking the motor under high heat.

If there is a need to run the can to keep the motor from vapor locking from heat then you have other heat issues or bad parts to be address. Fuel pump, heat soak into the fuel lines, etc.

I would just reroute the stock fuel line from the pump to the carb (assuming a carb) so it doesn't stay right next to the engine block the hole time.

Like Fred said though. FI and forget it.

Harley

5. FWP

FWP CRS

IMHO, run a Qjet for awhile, see how you wheel, on what trails. Leave it stock. If any mods are needed, put in FI, skip the intermediate steps. I wish I would have, but then again, I wouldn't have learned as much.

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with the theory. Cooler fuel makes more power. It does. The issue with the cool can for your intended usage is for it to be effective it would need to have at least a two gallon capacity. The reason for that is those little ones are designed with a vehicle traveling 1/4 mile at a time. I think most anyone here who has spent much time out in the sun will agree that the ice will last about 1/2hr, if you're lucky, in summer. The capacity needed to keep fuel cool throughout a trail run would be immense and you would have to keep your "spare" ice solid for later too. The amount of extra power gained by cooling your fuel would probably be offset or negated by the weight of the "spare" ice you would have to haul.

I agree with Fred and Harley, inject it and forget it.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I vote for injection as well. I still run a q-jet with stock lines and a mech fuel pump. I have no vapor lock issues to date. If it is all working correctly you shouldn't be having any problems.

8. teamhickman

[ QUOTE ]
    The amount of extra power gained by cooling your fuel would probably be offset or negated by the weight of the "spare" ice you would have to haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Very true!

Great input.....thanks guys!

Andrew