Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cool incab winch control idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Jan 4, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok, here is my plan--i want to take an old warn remote control and cut off the plug that goes into the winch and wire it to my now useless rear window switch (up-off-down which is like the remotes switch in-off-out). this way i could keep the incab plug hooked up at all times, and use my 12' remote when i need to winch from outside i.e. winching somebody else. that is why i need a plug instead of cutting my up.

has anybody tried this?
    where can i get that plug?

whatcha think?? rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think an SM465 with a PTO winch is a cool in cab winch control, but I'm just giving you a hard time : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

My next door neighbor has an in cab winch control made by Warn mounted to the bottom of the dash in his 72 Bronco, maybe you could find one of those in a junkyard or something.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Instead of using the plug in, just pop the cover off the winch soloenoids and hard wire the wires to the solenoids, and leave the remote receptacle hooked up. That way you could use either the in-cab switch or the remote. I was gonna do this a few years ago with my 8274, don't see why it wouldn't work (although I never thought of using the window switch). Also, it would be a good idea to install a cutout switch inside, so curious passengers wouldn't accidentally play with the winch. Just put it in the feed line to the switch.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it is a simple toggle why would you spend $$$ at warn?
    i would be careful to make sure that only one controller is on at a time.
    not cool if all the solenoids are open at once.
    my winch had in cab toggle in the old cab.
    redid it with overpriced warn remote.
    mine is rear winch, put plug in box through the tailight post.
    i can toss the remote through the rear slider for in cab

formerly 77chev

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

All I did was take the receptacle where the winch remote plugs into, and use a piece of extension cord to run the wires into the cab. I mounted the receptacle in the ashtray (non-smoker), and all I need to do to use the winch is plug the remote into the receptacle in the truck, then I can use it from the drivers seat, or unspool the wire and it reaches out to the front of the truck easily.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Most everyone in our club has done this. It is easy. Just hard wire a new line in to a toggle in the dash. That way it can be used in side and out if you wish.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Had the same inside toggle on one of my 'binders' a number of years back. Think it was a double pole/return to center switch (nearby elec shoppe). The wiring ran back thru the grill/under hood/thru firewall/hole in dash.
    It sure was handy!

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sound like a slick idea. The only problem I see is the rear window switch hangs up sometimes (or at least mine does). If you didn't have any problems with the power window before you put on the soft top then you might be in the clear. If your switch is as bad as mine was you might want to replace it with a new one first. A way to disable it would be good too, that youngster won't get any less curious. Trust me!

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Easy to do hard wiring into the back of the plug on the winch.
    I'm not sure I would use the window switch. Too far to reach if your seat belt is locked from being on a hill. When I get a winch I was going to mount the switch on a overhead where I could easily reach it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

There's an article here on that:
    www.off-road.com/chevy