Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cool PreRunner K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TLCOR, Sep 4, 2005.

1. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Clean and Bling. Me like.. :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah......and he's a CK5 member too!!!

I personally think he's got the coolest subwoofer boxes on the planet! :waytogo:

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Greg, whats up with the "fad" out in Cali since you were from there. I'm talking about the "fad" of where most of the truck guys have their fronts higher than the rears. I remember reading somewhere that the truck scene in Cali had the opposite rake effect. Since you were from there, whats the scoop? :dunno:

4. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Hm, how do they look ?

5. Greg72

Like this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Greg72

Wes,

I can't explain it really. I've certainly seen that look quite a bit (though more on lowrider style cars....old Impalas, etc) I don't quite get it....but then again, I also don't understand wearing baseball hats all crooked either! :D

I think in this case, the stance is dictated by the suspension setup. Every prerunner-style stuck I've seen seems to have this stance. Those rear springs are REALLY soft so they always seem to sit low in the back. When you see desert trucks "at speed" they always seem squatted down too.

On the 1st Gens, the fender openings are different (front to rear) since the front wheelwells are larger it also gives the optical illusion that the front is higher even if the bedrail is 100% level. I prefer a slight "stinkbug" look personally. I think my truck has maybe a 1-degree forward rake currently.

Different strokes mostly....but I think in this case, it's a "form follows function" type deal. :thinking:

7. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Greg, I understand what you are talking about - those are slim !

BTW, I saw a other photo of it - and there it looked more level..

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For a prerunner it's a form over function thing. Problem is, all the lifted trucks in CA do it now. It's known by "pretty fly for a white guys" as "rollin Calli style". :rolleyes: Basically it's the new fad for CA and all the little white boys want to be part.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

well at least its 4x4. lol

i do really like those sub enclosures...nice use of that space.

:haha: :haha:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've always heard it called the "SoCal Rrerunner" look. There is an S10 with fiberglass fenders, 2wd lifted up, blah blah blah, around here that has that rake going. Problem is, this is PA, we don't have places to use a prerunner...

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Cool truck....

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

New fad ? Late eighties-early nineties on the so cal desert pre-runner look from what I remember. It's now a retro comeback.....

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not talking about the prerunner look, I'm talking about just the rake. Everyone is doing that ass low rake now, trucks with 30" of lift and 35's, low riders, the old ladys oldsmobile around the corner....

14. NorCalGMC

NorCalGMC Registered Member

as a current cali resident, active desert racing fan, and the previous owner/builder of ford ranger prerunner's that saw may-a-desert run, allow me to clarify.

For most guys, its just the ''look'' - most ''prerunners'' in cali never see desert. However, when ur doing 40-70mph across the desert (nevermind trophy trucks doing 140mph!!), some say you want the front end a couple inches higher than the rear for jumps and obstacles.

here's the real story:

With the real desert trucks/prerunners, its the exact oppostive of what you are talking about - the front is not lifter more; rather, the rear wheels have a bit more wheel travel than front, and the rear sags more (negative travel for soaking up landings). for the 1400 class, you'll see suspension numbers such as 18 inches travel in the front, 26 inches in the rear. trophy trucks hit numbers more like 32 inches travel front, 36 inches rear.

watch a desert truck DVD and you'll see. Movies like "Desert People 3" or "wasteland warriors" showcase the trucks' suspension more than, say, ''dust to glory''.

The poser's just lift the front a couple inches more to look cool cruisin' down the freeway.

-Josh