Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cool Weather in Northern AZ

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I just got back from the White Mountains, and the weather was fantastic.

My mother came from Austin Texas to visit me, and with her she brought an aluminum canoe, that is my belated birthday present. We took it to Hawley Lake on the Ft. Apache Indian Reservation. The weather was actually cold at night.

Didn't get to do any wheeling, but had fun camping and canoeing. That is definately a great place to visit if we can find out where the trails for wheeling are.

There was all kinds of wildlife and not so wild life(cows). Bear, my Black lab, had a blast chasing the critters(squirrels,chipmonks, crows,ect), but he was a little intimidated by the cows. He did finally get nose to nose with one of the cows, but I don't think he put together the fact that his favorite food, steak, was standing right in front of him. The crows, not to be confused with the cows were stealing his dog food so it was an all day game of chasing crows away from the food.

The bad news is that most everything rhat might have had offroad trails was closed up there. Hopefully we get some rain this summer.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Glad you got a chance to check that area out. One of my favorites. I have a good friend who's parents live in Pinetop.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

There really isn't much in the way of trails up there - mostly old logging roads, and they are mostly on the reservation - which aren't so great because the tribe thinks pretty lowly of recreational 'wheeling. There's some really easy (< 2) stuff up around Greens peak, and the road into Maverick can be fun, but it's normally fenced off. Once you head further east toward Alpine there's some pretty good stuff, but most off-roading in the area consists of Snowflake (AWESOME course) and mudding.