Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant additives

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jul 27, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used stuff like Royal Purple's Purple Ice or Red Lines Wetter Water. Says as much as 30 degree drop in temperature? I understand what they are supposed to do but do they really make a noticable difference in temperature drop? :dunno:

2. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

the additive releases the surface tension in the water. say you have a single bead of water on a plate,the surfactant will allow the bead to disapate to a big puddle if you will. I have used it before, but with most of my junk i dont know if you could tell anyway.the theory is there so it couldnt hurt. hope that helps

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Years ago when I did some roundy round racing we used the red line stuff it took our temps down about 30* on average

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I have used Redline wetter water and it worked for me.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I had a '93 Plymouth Laser that I had put Water Wetter in, to help control temps while driving (and pulling a 2K lb U-Haul trailer) from SoCal to PA in July '97. Worked great; it got hot a couple times on the climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel on I70, but never overheated.
    But when the first really cold days of fall came along in PA that year, my wife complained that the heater was blowing cold air. So I took it out for a spin and found that the temp gauge wasn't even getting into the "normal" range markings, much less into it's normal spot. Couldn't figure it out, until I remembered the WW. So I drained and refilled the radiator with fresh coolant, and it warmed fine after that.

SOOO, YES - Red Line Water Wetter does make your cooling system more efficient.